Remote Access only once! RRS feed

• Question

• Guys I have a strange problem.  I have 2 other computers on the same LAN as my WHS and have set up to connect to them via remote access WAN -> WHS -> each machine.  On one this works fine.  I can connect and disconnect at will.  On the second (my primary machine) I can connect first time, but when I disconnect and the computer defaults to logged-off, it will not respond again until I physically log-on at that computer.  This seems to re-set it and I can make one remote connection again.

It must be something different in the set up of the 2 machines, but I can't find what it is.  Any ideas?

Andy

Sunday, August 31, 2008 4:35 PM

All replies

•  Andy E (UK) wrote:

Guys I have a strange problem.  I have 2 other computers on the same LAN as my WHS and have set up to connect to them via remote access WAN -> WHS -> each machine.  On one this works fine.  I can connect and disconnect at will.  On the second (my primary machine) I can connect first time, but when I disconnect and the computer defaults to logged-off, it will not respond again until I physically log-on at that computer.  This seems to re-set it and I can make one remote connection again.

It must be something different in the set up of the 2 machines, but I can't find what it is.  Any ideas?

Andy

Exactly what happens when you try to connect remotely for the second time?  Do you get an error message?  What OS is on your primary machine?

Sunday, August 31, 2008 4:41 PM
  • Both machines are running the same OS which is Windows XP Pro Version 2002 SP2.  Both show as available for connection.  When I choose the primary, I get the Connection Options screen, followed by the Remote Desktop Connection screen, then the screen goes to the white with the message "Connecting to your pc..." and the blue banner with the Disconnect button, but it just stays at that and does nothing more.  On the other machine it would go black at this point and the log-in screen for that PC would appear, as it does on the primary on the first time through.  If I go to the primary the screen is black until on my remote machine I press the disconnect button.  At that point the primary goes to the main log-in screen showing all the available log-ins.

I have tried logging off the primary before I try to connect.  If I do that I fail to connect exactly as if it was a second time.

Does this help?

Sunday, August 31, 2008 9:12 PM
  • Forgot to say that eventually I getthe message that the connection has timed out

Sunday, August 31, 2008 9:13 PM
  • Also should have said, I have made the firewall settings on the primary to be identical to the secondary machine (except of course where they refer to the unique IP of that machine) but that doesn't cure it

Sunday, August 31, 2008 9:28 PM
  • Have your tried just "x"ing out instead of logging out.  That just puts your machine back to the screensaver logon screen without logging you off.  That is basically what I use for all my home machines.  Can't do that with customers though, but then I'm not dealing with "Home Server" on their servrers, just standard server.
    Sunday, August 31, 2008 11:15 PM
  • Sorry for the break.  I've been away.

Yes I normally do "x" out but it leaves my main machine in a logged-off state not just on screensaver.  When it's on screensaver logging in remotely is no problem.
    Friday, September 5, 2008 11:11 PM