Make OneCare default to Home mode RRS feed

• Question

• Hello! I have been helping a client setup a small little VPN for themselves using OpenVPN. I am having a problem getting their Vista box to keep the correct firewall settings of the virtual network adapter that the OpenVPN server running on the Vista box needs. Whenever the machine is rebooted the settings for the virtual adapter change back to public mode which in turn set the overall firewall settings to public which then make the server completely unaccessable from the rest of the network.

This is certainly not what I want. How can I make OneCare hold the settings on the virtual network adapter?

Thanks for any help in advance Smile
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 1:47 PM

Answers

• This is a limitation of the way the OneCare firewall handles multiple network adapters at this time. I don't know if it has been address in the 2.5 beta or if we will be waiting for a future version, but the firewall currently drops to Public mode when multiple active network adapters are found at startup. It can't "remember" the state you set last time, so the current workaround is to reset it each time after boot - which I admit, stinks.

-steve

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 5:28 PM

All replies

• This is a limitation of the way the OneCare firewall handles multiple network adapters at this time. I don't know if it has been address in the 2.5 beta or if we will be waiting for a future version, but the firewall currently drops to Public mode when multiple active network adapters are found at startup. It can't "remember" the state you set last time, so the current workaround is to reset it each time after boot - which I admit, stinks.

-steve

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 5:28 PM
  • Hmmm, fair enough. I actually found out that the larger problem is with Windows Vista placing the virtual network adapter in an "Unidentified Network" which is apparently why OneCare changes it's settings to public. I have tried about 20 different things to get Vista to recongnise the virtual adapter as being safe but nothing seems to work. If i disable and reenable the network adapater Vista becomes happy along with OneCare, but that solution isn't much better than changing the setting in OneCare.

At any rate thank you for your quick response!
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 8:38 PM
  • You're welcome and let us hope together that this issue does get addressed by the OneCare firewall developers in a future release.

-steve

Thursday, May 22, 2008 12:21 PM