none
Looking for add-in that shows open files on WHS RRS feed

• General discussion

• I´m looking for an add-in that shows all actually opened files on WHS in the way that the shared folder section of the computer-management console does. Of course this should not only work for the shares which have been accessed over SMB - perhaps there´s a way to see which files are beeing downloaded over the web interface, too.

If such an add-in doesn´t exist I think it would be a great idea to create one - perhaps also with a history-function where users can review when which user downloaded what over the web-interface.

Since I´ve the advanced admin console installed, it isn´t quite impossible to see which files are open on the shares but I think an add-in that integrates into the console is much more comfortable. But then it´s even intresting what´s going on your webinterface or what did go on there.

I´m looking for a good idea how to realize this,

WbR
    HaPe
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 5:55 PM

All replies

• HaPe1 said:

I´m looking for an add-in that shows all actually opened files on WHS in the way that the shared folder section of the computer-management console does. Of course this should not only work for the shares which have been accessed over SMB - perhaps there´s a way to see which files are beeing downloaded over the web interface, too.

If such an add-in doesn´t exist I think it would be a great idea to create one - perhaps also with a history-function where users can review when which user downloaded what over the web-interface.

Since I´ve the advanced admin console installed, it isn´t quite impossible to see which files are open on the shares but I think an add-in that integrates into the console is much more comfortable. But then it´s even intresting what´s going on your webinterface or what did go on there.

I´m looking for a good idea how to realize this,

WbR
    HaPe

There is no add-in with that feature.
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 5:57 PM
  • Mybe there´s anyone out that could create this add-in?

I think it would be quite useful for many users out there.

I just found the RemoteAlert-Addin which I´m going to install now and try it.
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 6:03 PM
  • HaPe1 said:

Mybe there´s anyone out that could create this add-in?

I think it would be quite useful for many users out there.

I just found the RemoteAlert-Addin which I´m going to install now and try it.

I, for one, don't see a big need for it.  If I don't know/trust someone, they won't have access to my server at all.  Therefore, IMO, a server monitor/logging system isn't necessary.

Also, a friendly word of advice:  don't go installing a whole bunch of add-ins (especially user-created ones, which some of them still need work) and expect your server to stay stable.  Search through this forum and you will find other people who have installed/uninstalled so much stuff that they messed up their server and ended up having to do a Server Reinstallation.
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 6:28 PM
  • Windows Home Server isn't really designed as something that a power user will be able to tweak to his heart's content. So for the most part, features such as this one are unlikely to become part of the core product. And there is no add-in which integrates this information into the console. If you're a reasonably proficient programmer, you could probably create such an add-in yourself, though.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 5, 2009 4:14 PM