none
After 9 months my Win7 Ultimate reports that it is not genuine. RRS feed

• Question

• In June of last year (2010) I bought a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate on eBay. It was listed as a full retail copy still sealed in it's correct box with the COA. It arrived and appeared to be as listed. It was in a sealed MS retail package. Inside the inner plastic box there was both 32 and 64 bit versions of Win7 U install DVDs complete with the correct holograms. I installed this and everything was fine until two days ago when it suddenly reported that it was not genuine. I had just installed Firefox 4 and thought that maybe this had corrupted something, so attempted a system restore to an earlier date. This failed (it has never worked for me, even with XP).

I then carried out a system restore from my Windows Home Server (WHS). This appeared to clear the problem, but a few hours later it re-appeared.

I then did some digging around the internet and eventually arrived at a similar case in the MS forum. I checked my PID and the the digit code is -068- which apparently indicates that it is an MSDN copy. How can this be when it arrived in a full retail package with the COA?

Sunday, March 27, 2011 1:31 AM

Answers

• "Satcomman" wrote in message news:1521d860-9ce1-4529-9a3f-ef6524b61b89...

In June of last year (2010) I bought a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate on eBay. It was listed as a full retail copy still sealed in it's correct box with the COA. It arrived and appeared to be as listed. It was in a sealed MS retail package. Inside the inner plastic box there was both 32 and 64 bit versions of Win7 U install DVDs complete with the correct holograms. I installed this and everything was fine until two days ago when it suddenly reported that it was not genuine. I had just installed Firefox 4 and thought that maybe this had corrupted something, so attempted a system restore to an earlier date. This failed (it has never worked for me, even with XP).

I then carried out a system restore from my Windows Home Server (WHS). This appeared to clear the problem, but a few hours later it re-appeared.

I then did some digging around the internet and eventually arrived at a similar case in the MS forum. I checked my PID and the the digit code is -068- which apparently indicates that it is an MSDN copy. How can this be when it arrived in a full retail package with the COA?

Your Key is from a not-for-resale MSDN account. You need to claim an immediate refund from the vendor - do NOT accept the offer of a new key.(all they are trying to do is to get past the 45-day claims window. or avoid you sending the evidence of their crimes to the authorities)

Please read the following stickies.... a lot of it isn't directly relevant to you, since you bought it pre-installed, but it will help in advising what to do next.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindows7/thread/a2444f34-0aff-4f29-a8ac-67e28b0c0285

and

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindows7/thread/06698c46-8668-4ccd-a544-a88969265a6b

The pirates have got VERY good at this over the past few years, as the price of equipment for manufacturing the packages drops, and as factories open in less well-policed countries.

see also this post....

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindows7/thread/46a58748-5a64-41ff-b7f4-f6d3b47beca9

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 8:14 AM

All replies

•  How can this be when it arrived in a full retail package with the COA?

Because the entire package is a counterfeit produced someplace like China or Mexico.  The box is not genuine.  It just looks it at first glance.  Take a look at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzqNNiOM0cs

You can follow the instruction in announcement 1 above for confirmation, but I can already tell you that the 068 in the PID is sufficient.  And you're right, there is no way an MSDN product key can be printed on the sticker in a genuine Microsoft retail box.  It is of course not a genuine retail box.

You need to purchase a full license copy of Windows 7 Ultimate.  That will enable you to just enter the product key at the Change Product Key link on the System Properties page and avoid reinstallation.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 2:43 AM
    Answerer
  • "Satcomman" wrote in message news:1521d860-9ce1-4529-9a3f-ef6524b61b89...

In June of last year (2010) I bought a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate on eBay. It was listed as a full retail copy still sealed in it's correct box with the COA. It arrived and appeared to be as listed. It was in a sealed MS retail package. Inside the inner plastic box there was both 32 and 64 bit versions of Win7 U install DVDs complete with the correct holograms. I installed this and everything was fine until two days ago when it suddenly reported that it was not genuine. I had just installed Firefox 4 and thought that maybe this had corrupted something, so attempted a system restore to an earlier date. This failed (it has never worked for me, even with XP).

Your Key is from a not-for-resale MSDN account. You need to claim an immediate refund from the vendor - do NOT accept the offer of a new key.(all they are trying to do is to get past the 45-day claims window. or avoid you sending the evidence of their crimes to the authorities)

Please read the following stickies.... a lot of it isn't directly relevant to you, since you bought it pre-installed, but it will help in advising what to do next.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindows7/thread/a2444f34-0aff-4f29-a8ac-67e28b0c0285

and

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindows7/thread/06698c46-8668-4ccd-a544-a88969265a6b

The pirates have got VERY good at this over the past few years, as the price of equipment for manufacturing the packages drops, and as factories open in less well-policed countries.

see also this post....

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindows7/thread/46a58748-5a64-41ff-b7f4-f6d3b47beca9

--

Sunday, March 27, 2011 8:14 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. The youtube video was spot-on correct. The only question I have now is why did my install pass the WGA test for so long? It's been nearly 9 months since I installed it. The person I bought it from on eBay had a feedback rating of over 600, but he now is not a registered user, so I have no way of reclaiming my money. I am amazed at how good the packaging is right down to the holograms.
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 10:48 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, but if you read my original post you will notice that I bought this slightly more than 45 days ago (actually about 270 days ago).

Sunday, March 27, 2011 10:51 PM
  • Because the product key was genuine.  Genuine MSDN, that is.  But not genuine retail.  Until Microsoft blocked the key it would vaildate just fine.  Once MS blocked the key it became neither genuine nor valid.
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 11:59 PM
    Answerer
  • Here's my standard spiel on the time-delays involved in tagging abused keys....

For MSDN Keys:-

MS can only act once a key hits a threshold (and they won't tell an outsider what that threshold is, understandably). They then have to put it through internal systems to ensure that all relevant parties are informed, just in case it's an oversight - then it enters the queue for the next update to the system. I have no idea how often the WAT checking system is updated, but I would suspect that it's no more than weekly because of admin and timing issues. The internal MS processes could therefore take easily a couple of weeks.
    It therefore depends on how close to the end of a vendors sales list you are, and how quickly he's selling them.
    The cannier ones will sell just enough to stay under the threshold for each product (MSDN subs include a huge number of products), until they've maximised the profits, then try and flood the market before disappearing into the sunset, laden with your cash. This could take anything up to a year or more.

For products sold using a loader:-
    The loader gets around online activation by fooling the computer into thinking that the OS is installed onto the correct machine, by modifying certain files. Because of a number of factors, it's impossible to stop this, so MS came up with the WAT update - which has the ability to scan the relevant files, and detect the use of a loader tool. If the user fully updates the machine, including recommended updates and optional updates, then the WAT update is installed and starts work, and within 3 days, a loader-installed machine will get a notification. However, the WAT update is a voluntary one, at least at the first update run, and can be uninstalled, or refused
    The other time the WAT update is installed, is when you validate Windows for some reason - it is part of the validation process, rather than the activation process. this time, it does the scan immediately, and again this will show as non-genuine if a Loader is present.
    If a user never needs/wants to validate, then they need never install the WAT update, and may never see a non-genuine notification.

Monday, March 28, 2011 8:12 AM
  • When I run MGAdiag.exe it reports that the license is "Retail". Given that this is an MSDN copy, I would have expected to see "MSDN" in the report.

Having watched the youtube video mentioed above, it states that Windows 7 Ultimate is manufactured in Puerto Rico. Is this true for all distributions including the UK? The reason for asking is that there is a copy for sale on Amazon.co.uk which is made in the USA.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 12:18 AM
  • "Retail" does not always mean "off the shelf" retail.  There are three classes of licenses.  Retail, OEM, and volume.  Retail licenses are the only ones that are transferrable between computers.  MSDN licenses are transferrable and are therefore retail.  MSDN, TechNet, and some other licenses in addition to upgrade and full licenses are all retail but only upgrade and full are boxed retail and available on store shelves.
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 1:27 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks very much for clearing that up. I had no doubt after looking at YouTube video that my copy is not genuine.

Do any of the MS staff know if all legal copies of Win7 Ultimate are manufactured in Puerto Rico?

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 4:22 PM