none
Installing a Company Proprietary App RRS feed

• Question

• I need to create an installer for an internal company app that will be used by some field employees. Below are the options as I understand them, but hoping I am missing something that would be much less complicated than these choices!

Sideloading: too difficult for these guys to install/update!

Windows Store for Business: appears to require that we have Azure organizational accounts. The app does use Azure and the users do have Azure Active Directory accounts but they aren't tied to our corporate IT accounts (They are *.*onmicrosoft.com). I'm in a services group of a large organization, not sure if we could be our own "organization" separate from corporate (our Azure account is separate), still researching this.

Public Windows Store: maybe ok, but seems like an unnecessary risk. To download workpacks the user must have Azure AD credentials. I should probably add some additional security if I go this route..suggestions?

Is there another way?

• Moved by Xavier Xie-MSFT Tuesday, June 7, 2016 8:35 AM not uwp development issue
    Monday, June 6, 2016 4:16 PM

Answers

• Another option would be side-loading. This depends on the number of users you need to target and the effort from you depends on how techincal the users are.

Here are the steps:

1. Basically you create a "not for store" build and share with your users. They would run a PowerShell script to install the app.
    2. Users needs to enable Side-loading apps from the Windows settings
    3. The certificate you use to sign the app must be trusted on the client machine (you either need to use a certificate that is issued by a CA that is already trusted on the machine or instruct users on how to install it)
    4. Ensure Powershell execution policy is Unrestricted (Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted)

*Steps 2,4 can be performed via group policies so no actions are required from end-users. Step 2 can be avoided with a properly trusted certificate.

Monday, June 6, 2016 4:49 PM
  • If you're asking a design question you might try here or somewhere on MSDN

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=visualstudiogeneral

If it is a deployment then probably somewhere on TechNet

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=winservergen%2Cwinserversetup&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 12:01 PM

All replies

• Another option would be side-loading. This depends on the number of users you need to target and the effort from you depends on how techincal the users are.

Here are the steps:

1. Basically you create a "not for store" build and share with your users. They would run a PowerShell script to install the app.
    2. Users needs to enable Side-loading apps from the Windows settings
    3. The certificate you use to sign the app must be trusted on the client machine (you either need to use a certificate that is issued by a CA that is already trusted on the machine or instruct users on how to install it)
    4. Ensure Powershell execution policy is Unrestricted (Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted)

*Steps 2,4 can be performed via group policies so no actions are required from end-users. Step 2 can be avoided with a properly trusted certificate.

Monday, June 6, 2016 4:49 PM
  • These guys are not computer literate at all.  I can probably get them to download a file and double-click it, but with sideloading they'll have to unzip, locate the .ps file and right-click "run as powershell", right?   I'm really hoping for an easier way, but thanks for the reply!
    Monday, June 6, 2016 7:44 PM
  • If you're asking a design question you might try here or somewhere on MSDN

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=visualstudiogeneral

If it is a deployment then probably somewhere on TechNet

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=winservergen%2Cwinserversetup&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 12:01 PM