Is it possible to connect to both a WHS and a WHS2011 server from the same PC? RRS feed

• Question

• I plan to migrate from WHS to WHS2011 over the course the next few months. I am hoping to run both at the same time while I complete the change over. My WHS server is running great and the WHS2011 server seems to have installed correctly and be functioning properly.

The problem is that when I try to install the connector software on a Win7 32-bit client that is already connected to the WHS, the installers returns "This computer is already connected to another server." "A computer can only be connected to one server at a time. To connect to [servername] server, you must first uninstall the Connector from this computer, and then install the Windows Home Server 2011 Connector again."

Is this correct functionality? Before installing the other server I saw a bunch of forum entries that said people were running both versions without issues. I don't intend to run them both indefinitely. But I would like to have them both up while I learn and finish setting up the WHS2011 server.

Monday, September 19, 2011 3:03 PM

Answers

• No, a client computer can only be connected to one server at a time. Even if it's possible to force the issue, Microsoft doesn't support this configuration and recommends very strongly against it due to the high probability of causing issues with client computer backup, connector updates, etc..
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Monday, September 19, 2011 3:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by Theo van Elsberg Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:40 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 3:26 PM

All replies

• No, a client computer can only be connected to one server at a time. Even if it's possible to force the issue, Microsoft doesn't support this configuration and recommends very strongly against it due to the high probability of causing issues with client computer backup, connector updates, etc..
    • Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Monday, September 19, 2011 3:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by Theo van Elsberg Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:40 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 3:26 PM
  • Yes, but it depends what you want to do. I have one of my machines backed up to my main Server (with the connector installed) but also use a Virtual Machine on that same PC to connect to another Server (via another Connector installation) for management purposes.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 8:59 PM
  • Phil, this is not what the OP wants to do. He clearly wants to join the same computer to both servers, backing up to both servers, in parallel, which is not supported and not recommended for the reasons I already gave. 
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:19 AM
  • Ken, Not sure how you concluded that, but if that's the case, I agree it can't be done. But as I said, if you only want to manage the second server then my solution works fine.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:24 AM
  • I'm a little late here, but as you suggested I actually did want to connect them both at the same time for a similar reason to yours. I wanted to be able to manage them both as I phased one out. I wanted to switch to the new server but still be able to manage the old one even though I would have stopped active back-ups to it.

In my situation, I generally work at one PC and use the others for media, games, or browsing. I would like to be able to sit at my one work PC and manage multiple WHS servers. So it sounds like the work-around you offered will work. Thanks.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:05 PM
  • Presumably the OP knows that if all he wants is access to shared folders, there is no need to install the connector software...?

I run both servers concurrently, and I do exactly what Phil does: use a VM to manage WHS v1, while my main system is connected to WHS 2011. (The v1 server is a backup NAS now, does no client backups, but I find it useful to have a failover should I need to take the main server offline.)

However, it is nearly as simple to use Remote Desktop to log into the server as Administrator and run the Dashboad locally, so you wouldn't really need even to have the VM for administration.  I just find it convenient to configure it that way

• Edited by Gary Voth Sunday, July 22, 2012 5:55 AM
    Sunday, July 22, 2012 5:54 AM
  • I have a client which is connected to both WHS2011 and WHSV1 with backups on both. I had to uninstall the WHSV1 connector, then install WHS2011, then re-install WHSV1, but I did have to use an older version of the WHSV1 connector as the current version complained.

I have two icons showing on the icon bar, one for the WHS2011 Lanchpad, and the other for the WHS V1 Connector.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 12:45 AM