locked
No organization was specified... RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi

    Our IT dept have had some problems with a particular CRM Outlook client installation and had cause to try installing rollup 7, which didn't work, so they then tried rolling back. Now when the Configuration wizard is run on the machine in question it shows the message 'No organization was specified in the configuration file'. In all other regards however everything appears to be working as expected and, in fact, Outlook appears to connect to CRM a little more quickly. Has anyone seen this message before and got any suggestions on how to handle it? Also, how can one determine which rollup is installed?

    Thanks
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 4:17 PM

Answers

  • Fyi, we managed to resolve this problem yesterday - in the prior credentials box where it automatically shows the CRM server url - eg http://server01 - we just changed it by adding a forward slash at the end - eg http://server01/ - and this ensured that the error message did not appear. Why it couldn't resolve without the forward slash is anyone's guess...
    • Marked as answer by sjb500 Thursday, October 29, 2009 2:07 PM
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 2:07 PM

All replies

  • Ok, I've not seen this yet. Nevertheless, do you have several orgainizations in your deployment?

    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 7:09 PM
    Moderator
  • I don't know about the first part, but to see which rollup is installed on the Outlook Client, just click on the CRM button, and that will pull up the About page.  In there you will see a minor version number (e.g. 4.0.7333.1750).  That minor version number matches an update rollup.

    For example, Update Rollup 5 has the version 4.0.7333.1644 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/970141)

    Just look through the Update Rollup KBs to see the one that matches your version number.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 7:39 PM
  • Curt - no, just the one. We do have a separate dev server which houses two development instances but the machine in question would not have ever been connected to it.

    Wayne - thanks!
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 9:06 AM
  • Rollups aside, if it's a single machine or several perhaps an experience I had will provide a clue.

    During a CRM 4.0 deployment I noticed that some of the clients workstations were having having trouble with authenticating to the forest.   Running Network Monitor showed all NBT traffic and no Kerberos traffic.    Looking at the security logs I noticed that Kerberos was failing all the time.   Now these workstations would not even find the Exchange server much less the CRM server.   It turned out that they were "Joined to the domain" in the old NT 4.0 way. Disjoining a machine from the domain, resetting the machine account, and rejoining the workstation to the domain changed the way the workstation communicated with the domain and AD.  Kerberos worked now and CRM did not have a problem when we installed the client.   Lesson Learned?   Look at the road the CRM is attempting to run on.   Fixing ther road helps the car ride smoother.

    IT's just possible that you can resolve DNS fine all day but the attributes of the Machine account in the LDAP database are not quite what they should be.

    Perhaps that will help.

    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 1:46 PM
    Moderator
  • Fyi, we managed to resolve this problem yesterday - in the prior credentials box where it automatically shows the CRM server url - eg http://server01 - we just changed it by adding a forward slash at the end - eg http://server01/ - and this ensured that the error message did not appear. Why it couldn't resolve without the forward slash is anyone's guess...
    • Marked as answer by sjb500 Thursday, October 29, 2009 2:07 PM
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 2:07 PM
  • Glad to see you have this working.    I don't want you to post the port number but did you create a new site or use the default site?
    It would help other readers.  But we don't want to help hackers.
    /:>

    Thursday, October 29, 2009 2:53 PM
    Moderator
  • It just uses the default port number - 80.

    Thursday, October 29, 2009 4:05 PM
  • Like a colon in a line of code.  It's amazing what will resolve an issue.  Congrads on fixing it.
    /:>
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 6:51 PM
    Moderator
  • I just received this message as well. We are on Update Rollup 8 and it still exists. The problem was that we hadn't yet created the user in CRM, just not a very descriptive error but I guess it does make sense...
    • Proposed as answer by catfish2k5 Wednesday, May 19, 2010 6:34 PM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 7:28 PM
  •  

    Hi Moderators,

     

    The answer on this thread is incorrect, I have tested the answer given by Jabit and this is the correct answer. the workaround putting a slash at the end of the server name doesn't work.

    Friday, October 8, 2010 4:26 PM
  • I was having this same issue,  we are getting ready for a domain migration and in CRM when the user account was specified with the new domain ex:  newdomain\username I received this error on more than one workstation.  After chaning the user name within CRM to ex: olddomain\username I no longer had the issue.
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 5:43 PM