Compute the expected number of random events happened RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to get the expected number of events  happened in several possible ones which I think should be the sum of expectations VariableArray<bool> in Bernoulli distributions.  These events have different Bernoulli distributions. How can I compute the expectation in Infer.NET?

Thank you.

Thursday, March 28, 2013 3:43 AM

Answers

• Hi Maxime,

I'm not sure I fully understand your setup. If you have the Bernoullis, and you only need the expectation, you can just sum their probabilities up, right? However, if you want to model the problem, then it sounds like the sum in your case will take a Poisson Binomial distribution as opposed to a Binomial. We didn't have support for this factor in our last release, but we do in the next one, which is coming very soon.

Cheers,
    Yordan

Friday, April 5, 2013 12:25 PM

All replies

• Hi Maxime,

I'm not sure I fully understand your setup. If you have the Bernoullis, and you only need the expectation, you can just sum their probabilities up, right? However, if you want to model the problem, then it sounds like the sum in your case will take a Poisson Binomial distribution as opposed to a Binomial. We didn't have support for this factor in our last release, but we do in the next one, which is coming very soon.

Cheers,
    Yordan

Friday, April 5, 2013 12:25 PM
  • Thank you Yordan.  Actually, I want to model the problem. And I'm very looking forward to your next release. :-)
    Sunday, April 7, 2013 12:43 PM
  • The new release is out. You're probably interested in Variable.CountTrue.

Friday, April 26, 2013 3:17 PM