AVCHD High-Def Videos Not Available on Xbox 360 from WHS (Unless using Media Center) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I've read up on the relevant postings on a similar subject but have not found any direct feedback on this question, so I figure I'd ask. Here's the scoop: I have a WHS on which I store a TON of video files, including hi-def video files that are AVCHD files with the .mt2s file extension. These are from my sony hd camcorder. When I run my xbox 360 my WHS is shown as an available computer and I can go into music and see my music, I can go into pictures, and see my pictures, but when I go into videos, I cannot view 99% of all the videos that are in that folder. Now here's the run -- when I run Windows Media Center from the Xbox 360 and connect to a PC that is connected to the WHS, I can actually view all the videos, including the AVCHD files. I prefer not to do this because I don't want to have a 2nd computer running 24/7. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I'm doing wrong? Suggestions for what to do to fix? Thanks in advance!

Monday, June 7, 2010 11:06 PM

All replies

• Media Center may support those file types, but Windows Home Server doesn't, I'm afraid. For more information about the media features of Windows Home Server, see the Media Sharing technical brief.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 1:08 AM
  • This helps, however allow me to clarify what I see as the conundrum:

SCENARIO ONE

If I use my Xbox360 to "view videos" and select my "server:1" location most of my videos are not recognized. For example, if I go into my folder that contains all my AVCHD files (the .mt2s files), the Xbox interface says the folder has "no available videos".

SCENARIO TWO

If I use my Xbox360 and run Windows Media Center and access the SAME files on my WHS, albeit through the connected PC that is hosting the Windows Media Center connection, the Xbox360 will play all the files, including the AVCHD files without any issues.

My ultimate question that, since my Xbox is playing an AVCHD file in scenario two, why can it not play it in scenario one? Hope this helps clarify things. Thanks again for the help and support!

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 7:26 PM
  • for scenerio Two you would have to have WHS connected to a Media Center PC and then to Xbox Media Center.

Now if I am correct, and I am not really sure so if I am wrong put me right, using the xbox as and extender for the Media center PC, so I am saying that playing your file through Xbox Media center, would be like playing on the media center PC itself.

for scenerio one

playing the AVCHD file through the xbox dashboard would require the xbox to have the codecs built into the firmware.

HMG
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 9:55 PM
  • Interesting... So in Scenario Two, I have WHS to Media Center PC to Xbox Media Center and in this case, the Media Center PC (that sits in the middle) is the device that is RENDERING the video with its codecs. And then it delivers or converts to an Xbox-acceptable format for viewing on the Xbox MC? And in Scenario One, since no machine in that chain has codecs for AVCHD, they don't show up. If this is the case, is there any way of getting my WHS to convert these files (AVCHD/.mt2s) in real-time when I pull them up on my WBox MC and convert them into a viewable format?
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 10:46 PM
  • For scenario 2, your Xbox can play any format that has an appropriate codec installed on the host computer. So your host computer (Media Center PC) is doing the heavy lifting. For scenario 1, your Xbox has to support the video type itself and (if you're streaming from your server) Windows Home Server has to recognize the file as a streamable media type.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 11:55 PM