How safe is WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm thinking of a WHS build for my data, but need to be sure of its reliability.

1. Can folder duplication be trusted? I've read here that its no substitute for server backups, in which case it just becomes a high availability solution like RAID, and rather than having 3x the space needed for my data, I'd just use external backups and use WHS only for drive aggregation.

2. How reliable is DE? Say its in the middle of drive balancing, heavy network usage, and I pull the power cord. Is it guaranteed not to cause corruption?

3. Does running 24x7 and heavy disk usage caused by DE adversely affect disk life?

RAID is not an option for me because of cost and its inherent problems (like lock in to hardware). Currently I have ~2TB data and backup manually using external disks etc but would like an easy solution that can grow, but is also safe. I'm not concerned so much with other WHS features.
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 1:19 AM

All replies

• Defcon79 said:

I'm thinking of a WHS build for my data, but need to be sure of its reliability.

1. Can folder duplication be trusted?

It's similar to RAID 1 (mirroring).  I have no problems trusting it at all.  It duplicates the data on a second drive just like it's supposed to.  Just understand that the duplication process isn't immediate.  (The duplication pass runs every hour.)

Defcon79 said:

I've read here that its no substitute for server backups, in which case it just becomes a high availability solution like RAID, and rather than having 3x the space needed for my data, I'd just use external backups and use WHS only for drive aggregation.

As you said, FD is strictly for redundancy (just like RAID).  Neither are backup solutions nor should they be considered as such.

Defcon79 said:

2. How reliable is DE? Say its in the middle of drive balancing, heavy network usage, and I pull the power cord. Is it guaranteed not to cause corruption?

No, there are no guarantees, but that is the same for RAID (besides, if you pull the plug while it's running, you get what you deserve :)  ).  However, I believe the worst case scenario would be the 1 file that was being written at that exact moment would be corrupt (it wouldn't affect static data).

Defcon79 said:

3. Does running 24x7 and heavy disk usage caused by DE adversely affect disk life?

I've had mine running for 18 straight months and not a single issue so far (hard drive or otherwise).

Defcon79 said:

RAID is not an option for me because of cost and its inherent problems (like lock in to hardware).

That's good because RAID is unsupported on WHS anyway.

Defcon79 said:

Currently I have ~2TB data and backup manually using external disks etc but would like an easy solution that can grow, but is also safe. I'm not concerned so much with other WHS features.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 2:43 AM