Why do we have to pay for visual professional studio 2008 to develop for Windows mobile? RRS feed

• Question

• To develop for windows mobile 

I have to buy Visual Studio Professional 2008..(which costs $800 US ) but to
    develop for google android the development IDE is free? Why is this? My question is why do you want me to to develop and promote an competing platform and effectively work for them?? 

I want to write for Windows Mobile..but will have to 
    develop for the competition because it is free. I would prefer to write for WinMo. I want to write for
    windows mobile..I'm not sure why the windows mobile development is so expensive..If we had a cut down version of visual studio that just does windows mobile .. we would be effectively
    working for free to promote windows mobile by writing applications for Microsoft mobile instead of the competition? 

Microsoft will get 30% of any app sale so they will be making money. This is the important point - we are not just writing applications for ourselves anymore ..anything we write Microsoft will get 30%? This is the game changing point. In the past any application that was written using visual studio microsoft wouldn't get anything. So it made sense to charge $800.  But now why charge when you will make 30% of all application sales?   And, if we are selling apps at a few dollars each - we have to recoup the $800 .  I don't have to do that with google android?

Can someone pass the message on to Microsoft Mobile team is that developers are going to write for android (google) and effectively work for them for free and make money for them.  Why would you want any company to loose market share, developers and app sales..doesn't make sense.  I think it is urgent to make it easy to get developers on board quickly instead of putting up these road blocks its crazy ..when we could be making money for you and for me..

The solution is to provide a free windows mobile only version of Visual Studio - and quickly ..i've already downloaded the android IDE and SDK..it was free..

Please pass this onto the windows team ..

mike

Monday, October 12, 2009 1:04 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your feedback. I have shared your postings and perspective with the Windows phone team, the Marketplace team and the developer team. I'm marking this as answered just for internal tracking purposes but feel free to continue to post and all can continue to view and dialog on this topic.
    Thank you from the Windows phone team
    http://www.WindowsPhone.com/TotalAccess
    • Marked as answer by MaryAliceC Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:56 PM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:56 PM

All replies

• Windows not open source and not free correct, but i'm not asking windows to be free i'm asking for the windows mobile IDE be free , so that ironically microsoft can compete on a equal footing with them (google). I'm not asking for windows to be free. Microsoft only had 250 app on launch of there store- i know that they have to review more. but thats embarassing ..but something strange is in redmond..windows mobile market share has fallen 12% to 9% ...what do microsofts share holders have to say about it??  It dosen't make sense which ever way you look at it..

mike
    Monday, October 19, 2009 8:26 AM
  • Thanks for your feedback. I have shared your postings and perspective with the Windows phone team, the Marketplace team and the developer team. I'm marking this as answered just for internal tracking purposes but feel free to continue to post and all can continue to view and dialog on this topic.
    Thank you from the Windows phone team
    http://www.WindowsPhone.com/TotalAccess
    • Marked as answer by MaryAliceC Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:56 PM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:56 PM
  • thanks much appreciated
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 10:02 PM
  • Hi I have started a page on wikipedia - some months back to compare the different mobile platforms..
    it gets many hits per day..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_digital_distribution_platforms_for_mobile_devices

Unfortunately windows only has according to wiki 300 hundred apps android has 20000 app  and growing!

Also you will note that windows mobile IDE is the ONLY one you have to pay for.

Please show this to the windows mobile team or MS management..

Please make management aware of this ..unless they have given up on the Windows Mobile platform?

All we ask for is a free Windows Mobile IDE ...so we can write apps for windows mobile and keep it alive..
    there is alot of money in mobile apps ..but MS isn't interested??

PS i have written my first Android app..I have only time to commit to one platform...

bye (windows mobile developer)
    Monday, December 28, 2009 3:34 AM