none
Do we need AV on WHS RRS feed

• General discussion

• I was wandering if I really need AV software on my server as there is a limited number of users that have access to the server and they are only uploading files to it. All my own machines have some sort of AV software on them. So let see what you think?
    Also a happy and peaceful new year to every one. M (Charles)
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 11:32 AM

All replies

• Charles,

If you can guarantee that none of the files uploaded can never-ever have a virus in them, then no, there is no need to run AV software.
    However, the chances of someone unknowingly having a virus nowadays is  something that can easily happen, so for the cost of the software, the peace of mind is worth it to me.
    Don't forget also, that having different versions of AV software is usually a good idea, as no one piece of software is 100%, so there is always the chance of something slipping through. As has recently been seen with Samsung Picture Frame software coming with it's own virus incorporated!

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 11:39 AM
  • morphy125 said:

I was wandering if I really need AV software on my server as there is a limited number of users that have access to the server and they are only uploading files to it. All my own machines have some sort of AV software on them. So let see what you think?

IMO, if you are using WHS Remote Access, then you should have an A/V installed on it.  Also, make sure you use an A/V that is specifically designed for WHS (because of the way WHS handles files).
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 2:56 PM
  • kariya21 said:

morphy125 said:

I was wandering if I really need AV software on my server as there is a limited number of users that have access to the server and they are only uploading files to it. All my own machines have some sort of AV software on them. So let see what you think?

IMO, if you are using WHS Remote Access, then you should have an A/V installed on it.  Also, make sure you use an A/V that is specifically designed for WHS (because of the way WHS handles files).

Maybe you could assist the OP by listing or linking to those specific WHS compliant AV products?
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 8:44 PM
  • We Got Served has a page just for anti-virus and other security apps.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 9:56 PM
  •  
    kariya21 said:

As the system is only being used as a file dump mainly photos, there should not by any problems with virii. The only problem if somebody tried to run a piece of software on the server. Photos do not usually carry a payload. M (Charles)
    Friday, January 2, 2009 12:12 PM
  • Network security professionals (me, sort of, in a former life :) ) recommend some sort of malware protection on every computer connected to a network. This is not because a user may "get a virus" on that computer; it's unlikely to happen on a server. The recommendation is because some other computer on your network may "get a virus" which is capable of transmitting itself automatically to other computers with a particular vulnerability (an "internet worm"). 

If I could control the status of antivirus on every computer that might ever be connected to my network, I probably wouldn't have AV protection on my server. But I don't prevent my houseguests from connecting their computers to my network, and I don't insist on running invasive virus scans on those computers first. So AV protection on every computer in the house is a must.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, January 2, 2009 3:36 PM
  • An infected file stored on the server hard drive won't infect the server, unless the infected file is run from the server machine.  You have indicated that all of your PCs have some sort of AV on them, so when you open an infected file from the WHS storage, the PC antivirus software should catch that virus.
    For years, I had had my personal storage on a Linux Samba server and never bothered with having Antivirus software on the Linux machine.  Occasionally, there is an infected file and it was caught by my PC AV software.
    Same principles should apply for WHS, although I would recommend that some AV software be installed in the WHS server because after all this is essentially a Windows machine and it may well be infected with a virus.  When that happens, the risks include potential risks on the share files, the server system files, and all files coming to and from the server.
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 5:24 PM
  • I am using Symantec Corporate Edition on my HomeServer.

I have it regularly scan the files every couple of days to check for viruses. Since HomeServer is exposed to outside traffic via RDP and HTTP it is important to have some protection. I have seen viruses spread through remote desktop before and I would imagine that IIS is also somewhat vulnerable.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 4:03 PM