Help upgrading WHS with more HDDs RRS feed

• Question

• Am running WHS with SP3 without any apparent issues.  Motherboard SATA nearly max'ed out.  Want to add more hard drives.  Added PCI controller cards and more drives.  WHS does not see the drives.

This is a home-built box.  Tower case is a gorgeous Silverstone TJ07 with 13 drive days!
    Mainboard is Intel DG965WH which has six SATA connections.  All but one in use.
    System drive is WD 500GB. Remaining four drives are WD 2TB green caviar.

This setup has been running just fine. Ripping all my DVDs, Blurays, and HDDVDs.  Going through disk space like crazy.

I have four 500GB drives that are collecting dust, so I wanted to add them to the pool.  Bought two PCI SATA controller cards from amazon.
    Syba SD-SATA2-4IR PCI SATA II 4x Internal Ports RAID Controller with SIL3124 Chipset
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IHYLTK/ref=oss_product

I added two 500GB drives to each controller.  Plan is to add more drives before long.  Problem is that WHS does not see the drives.

When I first added the controllers they appeared in device manager under the yellow question mark.  I updated drivers in device manager from the supplied driver disc and they both mounted fine as Silicon Image SiL 3124 SoftRaid 5 Controller.

I still have four devices under the yellow question mark which I have tried to update drivers using the SATA controller disc and also the disc for the mainboard.
    1.  Audio device on HD Audio Bus (I know I don't need this).
    2. PCI Simple Commincations Controller (Don't know what this is or if it is for the SATA controller).
    3. SM Bus Controller (as with 2, don't know what this is)
    4. Unknown device

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong or on how to get the drives to show up?  FYI I am using the excellent Disk Management plugin.  Also Advanced Admin Console.
    • Edited by fje000 Wednesday, March 17, 2010 6:24 PM corrected typo in word "Controller"
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 2:13 AM

Answers

• Apparently it was an issue with the SATA power adapter.  I was using a couple of molex to triple SATA adapters and I guess they are defective.  I figured something was up when the during the 3124 post I typed ctrl+S to go into the configure utility and it said no devices found.  It did that for both cards  (there were two identical post messages for the RAID card before the boot into server 2003).

At the moment I only have two molex to SATA single power adapters which I used on two of the drives (one on each card).  And the drives show up fine during the POST and also fine in WHS.
    • Marked as answer by fje000 Wednesday, March 17, 2010 11:26 PM
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 11:26 PM

All replies

• I suppose the problems is that the wrong drivers are been used, you have to make sure to use Drivers for Server 2003
    HMG
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 9:38 AM
  • Hi,

You can get drivers from:
    http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=27&cat=3&os=4

Also when you start the machine you should notice a screen for the SATA RAID Card pop up during BIOS POST (i.e. before Windows Home Server boot screen appears) in there you probably have to set up your disks also.

Cheers,
    Al
    --
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 10:26 AM
  • I hadn't thought about the disk setup issue.  I had assumed it would be like adding disks to the mainboard controller, i.e. they just show up in WHS like magic.  I'm so used to running it headless, that it didn't even occur to me.  I'll attach monitor and keyboard and give it a shot.  Will of course verify the drivers as well, although the supplied driver on the disc that came with the card seemd to load okay.  And looking at the drivers on siliconimage web site they lump win server 2003 in with windows which seems to imply that there isn't a seperate driver for win server 2003.
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 6:33 PM
  • Also I think that card allows you to run in a variety of modes - the best options for you are probably the ones that are not raid, it might even be JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks) which is not really a RAID mode but on some controllers it's treated as a RAID mode.
    --
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 8:05 PM
  • Audio is not really needed on the server (you could try the XP drivers), so since they could potential destabilize the server, leave them away.
    PCI Simple Communications Controller has to do with Intel Active Management (if you have any HECI drivers, try those) and is also not needed in a home environment.
    SM Bus Controller stands for the System Management Bus and the drivers should be part of the mainboard chipset drivers.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 8:09 PM
  • Apparently it was an issue with the SATA power adapter.  I was using a couple of molex to triple SATA adapters and I guess they are defective.  I figured something was up when the during the 3124 post I typed ctrl+S to go into the configure utility and it said no devices found.  It did that for both cards  (there were two identical post messages for the RAID card before the boot into server 2003).

At the moment I only have two molex to SATA single power adapters which I used on two of the drives (one on each card).  And the drives show up fine during the POST and also fine in WHS.
    • Marked as answer by fje000 Wednesday, March 17, 2010 11:26 PM
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 11:26 PM