none
Multiple "Edited by" is a distraction? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I don't think there is any value for readers in multiple "Edited by " messages. It is just noise which takes attention away from the content of the post.

Also a careful person who fixes up a post gets a negative image due to the multiple "Edited by" footers.

Also if the post is the last one, it should not show any "Edited by" footer.

Kalman Toth, SQL Server & Business Intelligence Training; sqlusa.com

• Changed type Kalman Toth Friday, September 2, 2011 5:49 AM
    • Edited by Kalman Toth Saturday, September 3, 2011 12:41 PM
    Friday, September 2, 2011 5:47 AM

All replies

• I agree.
    For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog
    Friday, September 2, 2011 1:26 PM
  • Hi, recently every time you edit a post, the line "Edited by..." gets attached. Some people edit their posts a lot (e.g. because the "insert code"-function still messes up the code sometimes or they like to correct errors etc.)  and these unnecessary messages mess up the whole thread.

I saw posts were these status messages, (together with proposed as answer, unproposed as answer, marked as answer..) had more lines then the original text in the post!

I'm quite sure that apart from (maybe!) the few people who originally posted in a thread, nobody is interested who changed or proposed or marked whatever in a thread. If these lines need to be there for some reason, how about hiding them behind a link or a button which would make them appear only for the people who care?

Thanks, Denniver

Blog: http://bytecookie.wordpress.com

Hilf mit und markiere hilfreiche Beiträge als "Hilfreich" und Beiträge die deine Frage ganz oder teilweise beantwortet haben als "Antwort".

Friday, September 2, 2011 3:43 PM
  • It's occasionally quite useful.

Suppose

Scenario 1:  someone makes a post in which the give the wrong name for the product they are asking about

Scenario 2: someone makes a post in which they don't mention the product at all.

In both case someone is likely to ask in a reply in the thread which product they are using.

If the OP then edits his post to change / add the product name, that reply looks stupid. However as the fact that the OP has edited his post + the time stamp indicates to anyone who looks carefully that the edit was made after the reply and thus the edit was to correct the error the reply had in effect pointed out.

Basically it only looks stupid if edits are made as often as you edited your post here.  A couple of edits are the most most people need and in that case there is no such disfigurement of the post.

BUT I now see the point ! It used to be that provided no one had in the meantime replied to your post, you could edit it without an Edit marking. That was sensible. Now it seems even edits just when you post are being marked. That is indeed *stupid*.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Friday, September 2, 2011 3:55 PM
  • > BUT I now see the point ! It used to be that provided no one had in the meantime replied to your post, you could edit it without an Edit marking. That was sensible.

Exactly. 

Hilf mit und markiere hilfreiche Beiträge als "Hilfreich" und Beiträge die deine Frage ganz oder teilweise beantwortet haben als "Antwort".
    Friday, September 2, 2011 5:52 PM
  • Edit:  Perhaps you were unable to read this in the microscopic gray forum font, so I've increased the size for you...

Over the past day or so I've noticed that every edit I make to a post is now tagged with a separate Edited By Noel Carboni xx minutes ago note.

Has a policy been changed recently to cause this?

There's really nothing wrong with this, but it does seem a bit disruptive to the flow of threads.  And for some reason I ALWAYS end up seeing something I typo'd or didn't word right after I've posted. 

And why do these edit notices accumulate?  One seems sufficient.

A [Preview] button might be something that would help me (among others) get posts just right before putting them online.

-Noel

Friday, September 2, 2011 6:00 PM
  • Now it seems even edits just when you post are being marked. That is indeed *stupid*.

Not so stupid IMO.  There is still the case that someone else has opened your first version and thus in a position to write a Quoted Reply with that one.   Also, in the case of the NNTP bridge which I think is still used on these forums, those readers would only ever see the first version, unless they reloaded the "newsgroup".

---

Friday, September 2, 2011 8:58 PM
  • The 'Edited' message even appears if there was no 'Edit Reason' box visible at the time the edit was done. 

Saturday, September 3, 2011 6:32 AM
  • Same topic:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/reportabug/thread/154b9c68-32da-4899-be2a-a7b48d528005

Saturday, September 3, 2011 12:43 PM
  • Yes. I think if there are a series of edits by the same user, there should only be one "Edited by" note showing the last edit time.
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 9:08 PM
  • OK, we will look into only displaying the 'last edit'. Not sure when we'd get to this though.

Community Forums Program Manager
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 11:41 PM
    Answerer
  • No, it hasn't changed, it's been this way for over two years.
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 11:42 PM
    Answerer
  • Why dont just change it to the way it was before (like Mike said: It used to be that provided no one had in the meantime replied to your post, you could edit it without an Edit marking. That was sensible.) ?

Saturday, September 3, 2011 11:46 PM
  • Hardly. 

Up until about 2 or 3 days ago I could edit a post over and over and until someone responded to it, it would not accumulate an "Edited by" tag at all.

For someone who edits his posts a lot, this is a pretty obvious change.

And if you're going to re-edit the font size, could you please then fix the forum so that the font it uses is not tiny and gray?  Segoe UI is pretty thin for this purpose - consider Arial 10pt please.

-Noel

Saturday, September 3, 2011 11:57 PM
  • +1 to Denniver's / Mike's suggestion.  That was one thing this forum did right.

-Noel

Sunday, September 4, 2011 12:13 AM
  • Here is a new angle: I feel intimidated to fix a missing comma!  Another "Edited by" footer appended when I do it. Boom! I really look scatterbrain with 4 or 5 "Edited by"-s! It is like a demerit for fixing up your own post!

• Edited by Kalman Toth Sunday, September 4, 2011 8:37 PM
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 7:49 PM
  • I know what you mean.

Perhaps points should be awarded for edits...  After all, in editing them we're making our posts better for all future viewers!

-Noel

Sunday, September 4, 2011 7:52 PM
  • Brent? Any thoughts?

Monday, September 5, 2011 4:41 PM
  • Brent,

That's not true. Before we can edit and often edits were not reflected at all. It's a very annoying new behavior and I please please ask you to remove it. If the post didn't have answers, let's not reflect changes, and if it does, then one line with the latest edit timestamp will be enough.

My blog
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 1:23 PM
  • I stand corrected, new bug logged. 9/1 did change this. We introduced this to fix another bug around users getting email alerts to edits, then they'd go to the thread and not see history. For 9/28, we'll fix this to only show the 'last edit' and not more than one. Thanks for reporting this.
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 5:46 PM
    Answerer
  • Regression, should be fixed in our 9/28 release. Thanks
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 5:46 PM
    Answerer
  • Thank you for your attention to the matters in this thread, Brent.

-Noel

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 5:59 PM
  • Thank you.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 6:16 PM
  • >  we'll fix this to only show the 'last edit' and not more than one.

This imo doesn't fix what is really the problem. It's useful to see if someone has edited the post at different times **after there have been replies to it** because then you can see if for instance an edit was made after a particular reply came in.

Crass example:

Post - I'm using Windows 12 with SQL Server 2004. Reply There isn't such a thing as Windows 12. Edit then made to change Windows 12 to Windows 7.  New Reply There isn't such a thing as SQL Server 2004. New Edit to change this to SQL Server 2005.

Now according to your post you can no longer see that a reply came after the comment about Windows 12 which makes that look stupid - especially if the change comment said "SQL Server 2005".

Or did you mean show the last edit only before there were any replies ?

Mike Walsh

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 4:39 PM
  • IMO it doesn't matter how many times a post has been edited.  I find it a disincentive to go back and make things just right, as correcting typos I happen to not see all at the same time makes for a whole accumulated list of Edited By tags that just make me look stupid. 

I shouldn't have to be embarrassed to make my posts right!

If something seems to go awry in the subsequent thread, and you see even one "Edited by" in the thread, that's all that's necessary to understand that something may have changed that explains the chaos.

I don't feel there's a need for an "Edited By" tag at all prior to anyone replying to the post, and only one "Edited By" afterward.  Many other good forums work this way.

-Noel

Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:01 PM
  • I agree.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:07 PM
  • We are fixing this for 9/29 to only show the last edit line. See how this goes and decide if we really want to write more code to condition the 'has reply' or not.
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 11:16 PM
    Answerer
  • Just replying to see whether we have a fix.  I'm editing this post several times...

-Noel

Edit:  Once
    Edit:  Twice
    Edit:  Three Times

Edit:  Personally, as I have mentioned, I'd prefer no "Edited by" tag at all for a post that hasn't been responded to, but this is certainly better than 4 Edited by tags.  Thanks for the change.

Friday, September 30, 2011 7:54 PM
  • Yes, i can see no reason why there needs to be a tag just because you corrected a misspelling. I thought it was going to be like it was before? (Before, when there wasnt a reply yet, there was no tag when you edited your post.)

Friday, September 30, 2011 9:25 PM
  • Edit:  Personally, as I have mentioned, I'd prefer no "Edited by" tag at all for a post that hasn't been responded to, but this is certainly better than 4 Edited by tags.  Thanks for the change.
    +1

Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows & Security Expert - since 2003.
    Moderator in the Microsoft Answers and TechNet Forums
    My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 5:21 AM
  • I am now able to see deleted messages. Is it some sort of a new bug?

My blog
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 1:56 AM
  • I was able to see a deleted message before with strike-through lines, as long as I was still viewing the same thread.  If I would refresh it would be gone.

Does this describe what you're seeing?

-Noel

Sunday, October 2, 2011 3:06 PM
  • I was able to see a deleted message before with strike-through lines, as long as I was still viewing the same thread.  If I would refresh it would be gone.

Does this describe what you're seeing?

-Noel

No, this is new behavior after the forum update the other day. See this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/9047c068-8e66-4b85-ad23-b786a6531b96.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 4:03 PM
  • You folks who are seeing deleted posts, you must have some privileges I (as a plain jane user) simply don't have.

Do you see a deleted post just above this one?  I replied to Stefan's post then deleted my response via the X Delete link just under the post.  As I mentioned above, I saw it "stricken out" just after pressing the Delete button, but not thereafter.

If you're not seeing a deleted post there, you're seeing the same thing I am, and presumably what other users are seeing as well.

-Noel

Sunday, October 2, 2011 6:13 PM
  • You folks who are seeing deleted posts, you must have some privileges I (as a plain jane user) simply don't have.

Do you see a deleted post just above this one?  I replied to Stefan's post then deleted my response via the X Delete link just under the post.  As I mentioned above, I saw it "stricken out" just after pressing the Delete button, but not thereafter.

If you're not seeing a deleted post there, you're seeing the same thing I am, and presumably what other users are seeing as well.

-Noel

Yes, I can see that thread with the text "I am adding this post for the purpose of later deletion" with strike-through formatting.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 6:26 PM
  • I see this

I am adding this post for the purpose of later deletion.

-Noel

And a few other deleted messages (mostly by you and another user (without a name))

(another samples is:

As another example of atypical or abnormal behavior, we see that he's now changed his name from dеrоѕnес to ᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠ in an apparent further attempt to confuse or to somehow game your forum system.

Please take appropriate action.

-Noel

)

My blog

Sunday, October 2, 2011 6:46 PM
  • Yes, I would prefer to not have 'Edited by' if the reply doesn't have replies.

My blog
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 6:48 PM
  • We'll consider making further changes going forward.  Thanks for everyone's input, I'm locking this thread for now.
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 9:33 PM
    Answerer