none
SCOM HPC Management Pack - Tuning Failed Jobs Proportion Thresholds RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there
    I have a question about tuning thresholds for the failed jobs proportion monitor in SCOM Windows HPC Server management pack. Ordinarily I'd either create an override for the monitor & set appropriate static thresholds, or if the monitor was self tuning I'd dial down sensitivity. Looking at the failed jobs proportion monitor, it appears to have static thresholds, but those thresholds have not been exposed in the management pack as overrideable parameters.
    The MP guide states that the monitor will likely need tuning to suit the environment, but goes in to no detail as to the recommended tuning method.
    Any information / hints or tips welcome.
    Thanks
    Dan
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 2:50 PM

Answers

• Hey Dan,

It is great to hear you are planning to migrate to R2! We will definitely expose this threashold in R2 MOM Pack thus you can directly leverage it. And as said, you can also write your own monitors to track the information you are interested.

BTW, are you interested in joining our TAP (Technical Adoption Program) program for R2 MOM Pack? By that means, you can have chance to review our R2 MOM Pack in advance and provide your feedback before we ship.

Please let us know.

Thanks,
    Violet
    • Marked as answer by DanAdams Thursday, March 4, 2010 8:46 AM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 8:45 AM

All replies

• Hi Dan,

You are right, for this particular monitor, you cannot override the the threasholds, we just didn't expose it.

I am wondering whether you have any plan to move to Windows HPC Server 2008 R2, if yes, we can expose the settings on the MOM Pack which works against HPC 2008 R2.

Thanks,
    Violet
    Friday, January 29, 2010 3:38 AM
  • Hello Violet
    Yes, there are several R2 features which are very interesting to us, & we'll be looking to migrate asap.
    Our job management & submission mechanism accounts for failed jobs so in our environment the failed job count is not the the be all and end all, but it would be nice to tune the provded monitor so that it's more appropriate for our needs. In the mean time I'll probably write my own replacement monitor.
    Thanks very much for the information
    Dan

Friday, January 29, 2010 9:03 AM
  • Hey Dan,

It is great to hear you are planning to migrate to R2! We will definitely expose this threashold in R2 MOM Pack thus you can directly leverage it. And as said, you can also write your own monitors to track the information you are interested.

BTW, are you interested in joining our TAP (Technical Adoption Program) program for R2 MOM Pack? By that means, you can have chance to review our R2 MOM Pack in advance and provide your feedback before we ship.

Please let us know.

Thanks,
    Violet
    • Marked as answer by DanAdams Thursday, March 4, 2010 8:46 AM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 8:45 AM
  • Hello Violet
    Yes, the TAP is something I'd be interested in being involved with. 
    Probably best if we take this offline, please let me have an appropriate email address I can contact you on.
    Thanks
    Dan
    Monday, March 1, 2010 1:40 PM
  • Hi Dan,

Please reach me by lacong@microsoft.com, thanks!

Thanks,
    Violet

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 4:00 PM