Different product keys RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I was using my wife's  cousins PC when i noticed that it was runnig awfully slow. I took it home and tried to install my copy of Mcaffe Internet Security Suite 2007. I wasn't able to complete the set up because a window popped up saying that the sistem was sutting down in one minute. I booted up in safe mode but wasn't able to run it either. So I made a Windows Operating System Backup cd. I formatted and re-installed Windows XP and installed the Antivirus with no problems at all. Until I tried to activate XP so I can get the latest updates. I tried typing the product key on the side of the case but it says that it is the wrong one. When I ran the diagnostic tool I noticed that the Product key is different to the one on the side of the case. So, i don't know what to do now. Thanks in advance

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Cached / Grace status: N/A, N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-GD6GR-K6DP3-4C8MT
    Windows Product Key Hash: s2kt66ZJWfV4nS1wFD5F9bxTSDw=
    Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2111907-00102
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    ID: {2656F25A-0F78-4F07-B8C9-3ADADBCFACBD}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    Commit / Reboot / BRT: N/A, N/A, N/A
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1_025D1FF3-179-2_025D1FF3-199-3
    Resolution Status: Not Activated

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2993-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{2656F25A-0F78-4F07-B8C9-3ADADBCFACBD}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0039.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-4C8MT</PKey><PID>76477-OEM-2111907-00102</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-725345543-2077806209-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.                </Manufacturer><Model>Dimension 4700               </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.                </Manufacturer><Version>A08</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20050502000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>7BD533470184404D</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 6:06 AM

Answers

•  

Hi DBX:

1. Go to Start > Run and type:  %systemroot%\system32

then press the Enter key.

2. Locate these this file: wpa.dbl

3. Single click on wpa.dbl to highlight the file.

4. While wpa.dbl is highlighted, right-mouse click on it.

5. A dialog box will be displayed.  Click on the General tab.  Make sure that the boxes for read only and hidden are NOT checked.

6. Click on the Security tab of the same dialog box.  Make sure that all of the user accounts shown have access to this file and none of the accounts have DENY checked.

If DENY (on the security tab) or READ ONLY (on the general tab) were marked, please remove this attribute setting. The wpa.dbl file must be fully accessible by all user accounts. 

Please try this and report back what you found.  If you removed the deny and read only attributes, please reboot your PC.  Did that take care of your issue?

The Dell PC you're using will (most likely) be using a different product key than the one off the bottom of your PC. This is expected as that's how major OEMs (like Dell, HP) manufacturer several PC's using the same factory image. Its not necessary to change product keys over (but you can easily at www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/pkuinstructions.aspx).

-phil

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 10:37 PM

All replies

•  

Hi DBX:

1. Go to Start > Run and type:  %systemroot%\system32

then press the Enter key.

2. Locate these this file: wpa.dbl

3. Single click on wpa.dbl to highlight the file.

4. While wpa.dbl is highlighted, right-mouse click on it.

5. A dialog box will be displayed.  Click on the General tab.  Make sure that the boxes for read only and hidden are NOT checked.

6. Click on the Security tab of the same dialog box.  Make sure that all of the user accounts shown have access to this file and none of the accounts have DENY checked.

If DENY (on the security tab) or READ ONLY (on the general tab) were marked, please remove this attribute setting. The wpa.dbl file must be fully accessible by all user accounts. 

Please try this and report back what you found.  If you removed the deny and read only attributes, please reboot your PC.  Did that take care of your issue?

The Dell PC you're using will (most likely) be using a different product key than the one off the bottom of your PC. This is expected as that's how major OEMs (like Dell, HP) manufacturer several PC's using the same factory image. Its not necessary to change product keys over (but you can easily at www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/pkuinstructions.aspx).

-phil

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 10:37 PM
  •  

hi, I followed your instructions, but when I opened the Properties of the file, the only tabs that appear are General and Summary.
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 3:18 AM
  • Dbx,

In XP Home, the Security tab is only available when you start the computer and log on in Safe Mode.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 1:34 PM