Fill a dialog optionset with values from custom Workflow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

i want to create a CRM dialog which looks for a contact into my Dynamics organization and if there is no result, the dialog will look for it in an external database. if there is some results, i need to list them into an optionset in my dialog.

I tried to do that, but I noticed that Dynamics dialogs are able to populate an optionset from a Dynamics entity, but not with values from a custom workflow.

My custom workflow calls a webservice which looks for a contact in my external database and return a dataset with all the results.

So my question is : is it possible to have an output argument in my custom workflow which will be a populated optionset ?

and if yes, how could I use this optionset in my dialog ?

Thank you

Tanguy

Tanguy ROCHE

Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:37 PM

Answers

• Hi Tanguy. Unfortunately it is not supported to have an output argument be an OptionSet with values already populated.

However, you can use the "Query Data" step and present the records retrieved as a dropdown list (but you cannot query for anything outside of CRM). If you want to query data outside of CRM and present it in a dialog I think you would have to either propagate that data to CRM or intercept the RetrieveMultiple message so it goes and retrieves the actual data from an external system.

Gonzalo | gonzaloruizcrm.blogspot.com

• Marked as answer by Tanguy ROCHE Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:54 PM
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Tanguy. Unfortunately it is not supported to have an output argument be an OptionSet with values already populated.

However, you can use the "Query Data" step and present the records retrieved as a dropdown list (but you cannot query for anything outside of CRM). If you want to query data outside of CRM and present it in a dialog I think you would have to either propagate that data to CRM or intercept the RetrieveMultiple message so it goes and retrieves the actual data from an external system.

Gonzalo | gonzaloruizcrm.blogspot.com

• Marked as answer by Tanguy ROCHE Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:54 PM
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:41 PM
  • Hi Gonzalo,

thank you for your answer, i was expecting this king of answer.

I think i will populate a new entity in Dynamics and retrieve datas from this new entity each time i launch my dialog.

Tanguy ROCHE

Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:54 PM