Upgrade path from Public Beta to RTM? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there an upgrade path from the Public Beta of OCS 2007 to the RTM Version?  If it is a "rip and replace" answer - what is the best way to preserve user data - contact lists etc?
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 6:45 PM

Answers

• Sadly, there is no direct upgrade from the Public Beta to RTM.

This is the detail I was given: -

When you’re ready to migrate from public beta to the release candidate, we recommend using a phased approach in which you first upgrade your perimeter network infrastructure, using an Office Communications Server 2007 Release Candidate Access Edge Server to communicate first with your internal public beta servers. Next, you deploy any new release candidate Directors if your organization uses them.

After introducing your Access Edge Server and Director, you deploy a new release candidate Office Communications Server 2007 Enterprise pool or Standard Edition Server, and Archiving and CDR Servers, and then move users and their data from their current home servers or pools to the new Office Communications Server Standard Edition Servers or pools, and if you have deployed Enterprise voice, deploy a new release candidate version of your Mediation Server and migrate your voice settings.

After ensuring that IM and presence is working correctly in your environment, you can then deploy Web Conferencing Edge Servers and A/V Edge Servers in your perimeter network.

Finally, deprecate your public beta servers.

Also please refer to the OCS 2007 RC hotfix articles here:

KB918462 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918462

KB923028 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923028

KB917949 -http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917949

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 7:16 PM

All replies

• Sadly, there is no direct upgrade from the Public Beta to RTM.

This is the detail I was given: -

When you’re ready to migrate from public beta to the release candidate, we recommend using a phased approach in which you first upgrade your perimeter network infrastructure, using an Office Communications Server 2007 Release Candidate Access Edge Server to communicate first with your internal public beta servers. Next, you deploy any new release candidate Directors if your organization uses them.

After introducing your Access Edge Server and Director, you deploy a new release candidate Office Communications Server 2007 Enterprise pool or Standard Edition Server, and Archiving and CDR Servers, and then move users and their data from their current home servers or pools to the new Office Communications Server Standard Edition Servers or pools, and if you have deployed Enterprise voice, deploy a new release candidate version of your Mediation Server and migrate your voice settings.

After ensuring that IM and presence is working correctly in your environment, you can then deploy Web Conferencing Edge Servers and A/V Edge Servers in your perimeter network.

Finally, deprecate your public beta servers.

Also please refer to the OCS 2007 RC hotfix articles here:

KB918462 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918462

KB923028 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923028

KB917949 -http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917949

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 7:16 PM
  • Exactly the same steps are described in detail in the following document.

"Migrating from Beta 3 to Office Communications Server 2007 Public Beta"

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 4:52 AM
  • The document above can be found in the Public Beta documentation.

I have not done it yet but is this document complete enough or are there any specific things that require attention during the migration from the public beta to RTM (are there any changes in the schema settings so that the user import will work fine)?

/Thomas

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 4:55 AM
  • It's pretty smooth. Once your new servers are in, you just move the users to the new server or pool and they work fine. The gold code client works ok with the rtm servers as well.

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 7:22 AM
  • Sounds good. In the documentation I can read about de-activating the beta servers first and uninstalling them after that. Is de-activating more then only stopping? Also I can see that you need to re-run the schemaprep script. Is this needed when you keep your server the same name? I will install the new software on the same servers and re-use the certificates.

/Thomas

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 7:22 PM
  • Yes, you do need to deactivate them. You'll find the option in the right hand pane of the mmc. Essentially, you are starting from scratch again, so run through the steps as guided. I

kept the same servers and certs as well.

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 8:49 PM
  • In the migration guide the following steps has been descibed (after de activating and reinstalling EDGE):

"

Step 2 Prepare the Active Directory Forest

Before you deploy a Director or any internal servers, you must prepare the Active Directory® Domain Services for the Office Communications Servers Public Beta by re-running Forest Preparation. You do not need to run the steps to prepare the schema or prepare domains again because no changes have been made to the schema or the domain preparation process from beta 3.

"

Is this necessary before de-activating the current OCS installation? My server names willl remain the same.

Monday, September 10, 2007 6:58 AM
  • There is a new guide called Migrating from RC to OCS 2007 Full Release that is basically the same as the beta 3 to RC guide. I am not sure where it is available online, but I would be willing to email it to anyone who pings me.

To migrate from Release Candidate to RTM, we recommend using a phased approach in which you first upgrade your perimeter network infrastructure, using an Office Communications Server 2007 Full Released Version Access Edge Server to communicate first with your internal Release Candidate servers. Next, you deploy any new RTM Directors if your organization uses them.

After introducing your Access Edge Server and Director, you deploy a new RTM Office Communications Server 2007 Enterprise pool or Standard Edition Server, and Archiving and CDR Servers, and then move users and their data from their current home servers or pools to the new Office Communications Server Standard Edition Servers or pools, and if you have deployed Enterprise voice, deploy a new RTM version of your Mediation Server and migrate your voice settings

Finally deprecate your Release Candidate servers.

Friday, September 14, 2007 9:52 PM
  • Thanks Thom,

I have migrated to the RTM successfully following the steps in the guide mentioned above. Importing and exporting users works fine. I didn't need to re-run the forest prep scripts, only de- activate the servers, uninstall the software and reinstall the new version. Works very smooth!

/Thomas

Saturday, September 15, 2007 3:00 AM
  •  

Would you mind emailing the guide to me?  I'd appreciate it.

Email is

b m @ fr dot com

remove the spaces and the dot.

Thanks

Monday, September 17, 2007 2:59 AM
  •  

I've done the migration also without problems. Just like Thomas.

Regs,

Dieter

Monday, September 17, 2007 7:57 AM
  •  ThomasW wrote:

In the migration guide the following steps has been descibed (after de activating and reinstalling EDGE):

"

Step 2 Prepare the Active Directory Forest

Before you deploy a Director or any internal servers, you must prepare the Active Directory® Domain Services for the Office Communications Servers Public Beta by re-running Forest Preparation. You do not need to run the steps to prepare the schema or prepare domains again because no changes have been made to the schema or the domain preparation process from beta 3.

"

Is this necessary before de-activating the current OCS installation? My server names willl remain the same.

This step is not necessary if you are migrating from public beta to RTM.

Thomas.

Monday, September 17, 2007 8:07 AM
  • Thom, can you send me the "Migrating from RC to OCS 2007 Full Release" you mentioned to joezep21 at yahoo dot com.

Thanks in advance

Monday, September 17, 2007 3:13 PM
  • Thom,

I looked online for "Migrating from RC to OCS 2007 Full Release". can you email it me at nasirpiracha@hotmail.com

Thanks

Nasir.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 4:47 PM
  • Hello folks,
                    I have followed these steps (similar to what Thomas did)  to move from OCS Public Beta to RTM:

1 Backed up SQL database (via SQL Management Studio Express) and exported user settings (via LCScmd tool). Both completed successfully (There were no error messages)

2. Deactivated servers

3. Uninstalled Public Beta servers and restartd server.

4. Installed the new RTM version. I too did not need to re-run the forest prep scripts and  the services all started fine without any issues.

5. Attempted to restore database from backup through SQL Express. This is where I get the following error message:

"Restore failed for server.

System.data.Sqlclient.sqlerror
    The backup set holds a backup of database other than the RTC database.

Any ideas on what might be causing this error message and how I can fix it?

Thank you
    Tuesday, September 18, 2007 9:58 PM
  • Hi!

Actually, i can "upgrade" OCS Beta to RTM follow these steps:

1. Backup All Roles (one by one) using lcscmd /config CMD (with the correct parameters)

2. Backup Database use SQL Backup

3. Backup Database using dbimpexp

4. Uninstall ALL Beta Roles (Pools too)

5. Reinstall OCS RTM

6. Restore XML file using lcscmd too (again, with the correct parameters)

7. If you have any problem with restore, you can retry or reconfigure only 1 or 2 roles (not all)...

8. Problems with users? restore db using dbimpexp...

Regards,

Emerson

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 11:55 PM
  •  

Thom - if you could email me the "Migrating from RC to OCS 2007 Full Release" document - steve@speaktech.com

Cheers!

Steve

Thursday, September 20, 2007 1:36 AM
  •  

can you please email me that also

aaslaner@hotmail.de

thx! Smile

Thursday, November 15, 2007 10:49 AM
  •  

I downloaded OCS 2007 from MSDN, but it appears to be a beta 3 code.  Only after performing the SchemaPrep did I see in the log that it was beta code. 

Schema Prep State: Office Communications Server (Beta 3 Interim)

I have not done anything other than lcscmd.exe /forest /action: SchemaPrep

Is there any issue re-running the schema prep command (above) with the new RTM code?  Will it upgrade my Schema to the RTM version?

Monday, January 7, 2008 11:40 PM
  • Hi,

I don't think there were any schema changes between beta 3 and RTM. If you start the setup it will detect the schema state and let you know whether it needs to be run or not.

You should be OK.

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 6:38 AM
  • Sorry about not posting the RC to RTM guide earlier. (We had a baby girl!)

I have posted the document on my site:

http://www.thomforeman.com/wp-content/uploads/ocs_rc_rtm_migration.docx

Hope this helps.
    Tuesday, January 8, 2008 7:07 AM
  • Can you please repost the OCS_RC_RTM_Migration.docx?  Or email to markw <at> intellinet <daught> com.

Thank you.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 2:52 PM
  • Can you please repost the guide or e-mail to readonlyaccess at hotmail dot com.
    John Nelson
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:28 PM