How to Release Domain Name when Microsoft Account has Changed from Hotmail.com to Outlook.com RRS feed

• Question

• My Home Server is currently configured with a domain name registered to an old Microsoft Account with username xxx@hotmail.com

I have upgraded this account to an Outlook account with username xxx@outlook.com

The Alert Viewer on my server has the warning that the internet domain name cannot be updated. This is presumably because the account username and password are now incorrect.

I am unable to release the current domain name or re-register the current domain name with my new xxx@outlook.com account.

Is someone able to help?

Thanks!

Saturday, December 15, 2012 1:07 PM

Answers

• If no help can be had from the WHS side, I suppose I would try opening a support request with the Windows Live custom domains guys.   You also could simply pick a new domain name for use with WHS, though I understand that it is frustrating to have "lost" use of a perfectly good one.
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Wednesday, December 26, 2012 8:12 AM
    Monday, December 17, 2012 8:55 PM

All replies

• Try waiting a day or three; the various systems are pretty loosely coupled and may take a while for everything to realign properly.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Saturday, December 15, 2012 5:27 PM
  • I have already waited a couple of months!

I had 2 domains associated with the xxx.hotmail.com account.

When I login with my upgraded xxx.outlook.com account, only 1 of the domains appears as an option.

I can't login with either xxx.hotmail.com or xxx.outlook.com to release or update the details of the 1 domain name that cannot be updated.

Any other ideas?

Sunday, December 16, 2012 1:18 PM
  • If no help can be had from the WHS side, I suppose I would try opening a support request with the Windows Live custom domains guys.   You also could simply pick a new domain name for use with WHS, though I understand that it is frustrating to have "lost" use of a perfectly good one.
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Wednesday, December 26, 2012 8:12 AM
    Monday, December 17, 2012 8:55 PM