none
How to synchronize two SQL Server 2008 databases -- do I need an app? RRS feed

• Question

• I have to SQL Server 2008 databases. Currently I'm using SSIS packages to update from SourceDB into DestinationDB.

I want to do this with Microsoft Sync Framework. So far what I've seen from tutorial videos shows that I need an app that would facilitate the synchronization. Is this a rule?

Does that mean that physically, Microsoft Sync Framework is a Visual Studio feature?

I'm kind of still fresh from learning SSIS and I was initially looking for a similar kind of data transfer software that will allow me to create a stand-alone package with minimal (almost zero) programming required.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 7:33 AM

Answers

• Sync Framework is an API (Application Programming Interface) or a set of reusable libraries of code for doing synchronization related task (not necessarily database, could be files, etc.).

so to answer you question, yes you need to write codes utilizing the framework itself to build synchronization into your applications.

while there's Visual Studio designer support (Local Database Cache item), Sync Framework is not dependent on Visual Studio. you can write managed and unmanaged sync apps using the framework.

if you want zero or minimal coding, you may want to check out SQL Replication instead or stick with your present SSIS solution.

hth

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 11:40 AM