How do we upgrade existing Online organizations after RTW? RRS feed

• Question

• I've looked through the other questions but haven't found an answer to this...  There just doesn't seem to be an easy way to work with existing Online orgs customizations and data!

We've got existing Online organizations who want to test out new 2011 capabilities.  I know that we can export their customizations, then import to an on-prem 4.0 VPC, then convert that to 2011 on-prem beta, then export those customizations into an Online 2011 beta.  Far less than elegant, but it would work.  However, these are too many gyrations and expense for many small businesses...

Once 2011 Online goes live, will there be some provision for making a clone of their 4.0 Online org into a trial 2011 site so we'd have the customizations and most importantly, the data, to test on? 

Has anyone figured out an easier, cheaper, and more elegant way of migrating these 4.0 Online customers?  Telling them to upgrade, then scrambling to do training, customizations, and damage control seems to be a recipe for chaos and unhappy clients.

Thanks,

Lon

Lon Orenstein Living Business Online www.LivingBusinessOnline.com
    • Moved by Xiaopeng Wu Tuesday, March 8, 2011 9:56 PM Forum consolidation (From:CRM Online)
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 7:28 PM

Answers

• Lon,

The CRM Team has a plan. Starting after RTW jan 17th existing customer upgrades of CRM 4 Online will be scheduled. Communications will be sent to the customer. The first time slot will be 2/7. Upgrades will be 110 org upgrades per night.

This is based on a CRM presentation webinar I watched earlier today.

Jerry http://www.crminnovation.com
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 4:34 AM
  • Hi Lon,
    There currently aren't any plans to offer a 'try the latest version of CRM Online with a copy of your org's data' feature to all CRM Online customers.  As Jerry noted, the general approach will be to give the customer enough flexibility (as far as the date) and information about their upgrade to make it as painless as possible.  The support team will also be ready to resolve any problems that arise due to the upgrade.

I definitely see where you're coming from, though. I suppose for a user that has customized their org in an unconventional way that puts it at risk of upgrade problems, and they can't afford any downtime when they upgrade, it would probably be worth the trouble to go through the roundabout process you gave above to get an idea of what's in store.

-Pat Munns [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Wednesday, January 5, 2011 4:34 PM
    Friday, December 17, 2010 9:23 PM

All replies

• Lon,

The CRM Team has a plan. Starting after RTW jan 17th existing customer upgrades of CRM 4 Online will be scheduled. Communications will be sent to the customer. The first time slot will be 2/7. Upgrades will be 110 org upgrades per night.

This is based on a CRM presentation webinar I watched earlier today.

Thursday, December 16, 2010 4:34 AM
  • Thanks Jerry!

Is part of the plan to give the customer a "test instance" so they can work with their customizations and data in 2011 before pulling the trigger to upgrade production?  This seems to be a big hole for many Online customers.  How are you managing your customers' migration?

Lon

Lon Orenstein Living Business Online www.LivingBusinessOnline.com
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 4:25 PM
  • Don't know what the  plans are for dev/test type environments. If it is like CRM 4 then people will spin up a 30 day trial for that purpose.
    Friday, December 17, 2010 2:34 AM
  • Can anyone from the CRM Team weigh in on this? 

Thanks,

Lon

Lon Orenstein, Living Business Online www.LivingBusinessOnline.com
    Friday, December 17, 2010 2:27 PM
  • Hi Lon,
    There currently aren't any plans to offer a 'try the latest version of CRM Online with a copy of your org's data' feature to all CRM Online customers.  As Jerry noted, the general approach will be to give the customer enough flexibility (as far as the date) and information about their upgrade to make it as painless as possible.  The support team will also be ready to resolve any problems that arise due to the upgrade.

I definitely see where you're coming from, though. I suppose for a user that has customized their org in an unconventional way that puts it at risk of upgrade problems, and they can't afford any downtime when they upgrade, it would probably be worth the trouble to go through the roundabout process you gave above to get an idea of what's in store.

-Pat Munns [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Wednesday, January 5, 2011 4:34 PM
    Friday, December 17, 2010 9:23 PM
  • Thanks Pat!

Here's an idea that would help a lot that Microsoft could do -- give us a converter tool that would take customizations from a 4.0 Online instance and convert them to 2011 customizations so we could do an export/import to a test 2011 instance.  It's not so much that customers have "an unconvential" instance, it's that ANY customizations are not transferable.  Recreating those in a 2011 test instance requires either my method above or labor to clickclickclick and recreate them.

Thanks for your support!

Lon

Lon Orenstein, Living Business Online www.LivingBusinessOnline.com
    Friday, December 17, 2010 10:10 PM