External USB drive problem resolved - thanks! RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

Thanks to comments from Steve Boots on other folks problems with backup I was able to quickly resolve a problem that I have had since the version 2 update.  I use 2 USB hard drives to manually backup a total of 3 PC, rotating the USB drives weekly and keeping the most recent backup in a safe place. Prior to version 2, I was using the "start a new backup" option to quickly specify the drive addess (it varied between PCs and on each PC depending on what else was plugged in at the time) but this approach stopped working with version 2 (backup simply said it could not find the drive and didn't let me re-specify).  Thanks to advise to others from Steve, I was quickly able to focus on updating the configuration to get backup to recognize the USB disk and get backup to work again.  I checked the end results and found that the newest backup and all of the previous backups are intact on the USB drive.

Not the most elegent approach (it would seem that OneCare should be able to "find" the USB drive "now" and not complain if it's not where it was last time) but certainly workable for my needs.

Thanks Steve -- you indirectly made me search for a solution easy!

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 10:47 PM

All replies

• I'm glad that you found a workaround. I imagine that updating the configuration each time you make the disk swap is a pain, but at least it is working for you.

-steve

Thursday, January 24, 2008 1:24 PM