none
old school RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I got my MOUS certification in 2001 for office 98 I believe it was and my master certification.  I have been teaching these application since then but now I am required to take networking classes to keep up with the school and hold my place of employment. 

I would like to update these certification in office, but I need to start working toward the network aspect as well but since I am old school I don't know which certification to take.  I want to start from the bottom up since again I am not a young women anymore. lol.... Please some one help me. Direct me in the right location.  I stated the university again to obtain my computer information systems B.S so I should start a network class this year and some computer analysis class too.  But my director said I need to be certifide for networking and security systems.  The program director for this department will not give me guidance and has ignored my efforts to gain direction from him.  Please help me!!!!  I work at a technical college just so you get an idea of what type of certs.. I need. 

I look forward to a simple but helpful answer.. Thanks

Margie

Monday, February 4, 2013 4:36 PM

Answers

• Hi White Satin,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting. I think that what you might be looking for is not a specific Microsoft certification as such, but a more general certification such as one from CompTIA, the Computing Technology Industry Association.

CompTIA provides excellent entry level certifications that are vendor-neutral and recognized industry-wide. For networking I would recommend the Network+ certification, and for security I would suggest the Security+ program. You could then progress to more advanced vendor-specific certifications later if required.

I did these certifications many years ago, and they provided a sound foundation for the more advanced Microsoft certifications I subsequently undertook. However, for your purposes these CompTIA certifications alone might be enough.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to ask, and I'll be happy to provide as much information as I can. Good luck to you.

James

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 7:06 PM
  • If you want to start from the bottom, you may be interested in Exam 98-366: Networking Fundamentals. This is an MTA exam (Microsoft Technology Associate), which is considered an "entry-level" exam and may be adequate for a first certification.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=98-366

If you later want to progress into something more advanced, you may consider taking Exam 70-413: Designing and Implementing a Server Infrastructure, which is mostly devoted to the network infrastructure, including AD. Or perhaps the older Exam 70-642: Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuring. However, note that these exams are much more advanced and complex than 98-366.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-413

Monday, February 4, 2013 5:49 PM

All replies

• If you want to start from the bottom, you may be interested in Exam 98-366: Networking Fundamentals. This is an MTA exam (Microsoft Technology Associate), which is considered an "entry-level" exam and may be adequate for a first certification.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=98-366

If you later want to progress into something more advanced, you may consider taking Exam 70-413: Designing and Implementing a Server Infrastructure, which is mostly devoted to the network infrastructure, including AD. Or perhaps the older Exam 70-642: Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuring. However, note that these exams are much more advanced and complex than 98-366.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-413

Monday, February 4, 2013 5:49 PM
  • Hi White Satin,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting. I think that what you might be looking for is not a specific Microsoft certification as such, but a more general certification such as one from CompTIA, the Computing Technology Industry Association.

CompTIA provides excellent entry level certifications that are vendor-neutral and recognized industry-wide. For networking I would recommend the Network+ certification, and for security I would suggest the Security+ program. You could then progress to more advanced vendor-specific certifications later if required.

I did these certifications many years ago, and they provided a sound foundation for the more advanced Microsoft certifications I subsequently undertook. However, for your purposes these CompTIA certifications alone might be enough.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to ask, and I'll be happy to provide as much information as I can. Good luck to you.

James

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 7:06 PM