Lost shared files with Duplication turned on RRS feed

• Question

• Yesterday I had one of my hard drives fail in my server. When I right-clicked on it in Explorer it said the drive was not formatted, "Do you want to Format?". I said yes and the drive seemed to come back. I had Duplication turned on for the Public, Software, & Photos but there were no longer any files in any of the shared folders. I then ran a Re-install from the WHS DVD and still don't have the Shared Files or any backups but the pie chart in the server storage screen shows about the same amount of free space as before but now ALL of the used space is shown as System. Before it had the segments for System, Backups, Duplication, & Free Space. Now it's just System & Free Space.
    From the spaced used on the disks it appears there are still files on the server but I don't see anything but system files.
    Any thoughts on if the files are still there and if so how would I be able to access them.
    Thanks, Ken
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 9:40 PM

Answers

• Hi Ken,
    your method was wrong. Duplication ensures, that files are copied to another drive. If one disk fails, you will need to remove the failed drive via console to get access to the missing data in duplicated folders back.
    For checking, if your data is still there and how to recover it, please read the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by kensweather Sunday, April 19, 2009 10:04 PM
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 9:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Ken,
    your method was wrong. Duplication ensures, that files are copied to another drive. If one disk fails, you will need to remove the failed drive via console to get access to the missing data in duplicated folders back.
    For checking, if your data is still there and how to recover it, please read the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by kensweather Sunday, April 19, 2009 10:04 PM
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 9:45 PM
  • When you say you right-clicked on it in Explorer it said the drive was not formatted I assume you are running though Remote Desktop. This is not reccomended. Have you ever copied or moved files using explorer on your server directly to the D:\Shares\XXX folders? Again that's not supported and can cause problems with the drive extender and duplication feature.

The only safe way to access your files are through the network shares \\yourserver\sharename\

By accessing the D: drive directly you may have prevented the duplication system to sucessfully duplicate all your files.

HP MediaSmart EX475, 2GB ram, 2x512 + 1x120 GB storage. Author of WHS File Manager Add-In, WHS Jungle Disk Add-in and WHS Media Connect Configuration Add-in. http://blog.paks.no/whs-add-ins/
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 9:48 PM
  • Thanks Olaf,
    I was able to locate the files on both the C: & D: drive of the server. Is it OK to copy the files from the Shares folders on the server onto an external USB drive then attach the external USB drive to a client PC then transfer the files to the Shared folders on the server?
    Regards from Colorado, Ken
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 11:03 PM
  • Thanks Olaf,
    I was able to locate the files on both the C: & D: drive of the server.

There is never any data stored on the C partition (that is strictly for the OS).

Is it OK to copy the files from the Shares folders on the server onto an external USB drive then attach the external USB drive to a client PC then transfer the files to the Shared folders on the server?
    Regards from Colorado, Ken
    Can you please clarify?  It sounds like you are trying to copy from a share (i.e. \\server\public) to an external drive connected via USB, then back to the same share (\\server\public).  If that is what you mean, there is no benefit to doing that as you are copying and pasting the exact same files.  What exactly are you trying to do?  Please give us a detailed description of what your current server status (how many drives are part of the pool, how much total space, etc).  Pics would help as well (just post them to a site such as imageshack, then post the links here).
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 11:22 PM
  • Did you read my original post?

The files that used to show up in my in my Shared Folders are no longer accessable there but I do see them on BOTH C: & D: in C:\fs\D\DE\Folders & D:\Folders on the server.

Sunday, April 19, 2009 11:51 PM
  • Ken, you say in a later post that you can see your files in C:\FS\<something>\DE\Folders . Do you mean Shares instead of Folders ? If so, you may be able to retrieve your files. To do so:
    • Log onto your server using Remote Desktop or physical console. Be careful, as you've already learned it's possible to cause yourself some serious grief if you do the wrong thing.
    • Close the Internet Explorer window that appears.
    • Open the shortcut on the server desktop to the shares on the server.
    • For files that are currently "broken" when accessed through your shares, copy them from C:\FS\<something>\DE\Shares\etc. to a location outside your server shares. Connecting an external drive to your server and copying to that would probably be best.
    • Now copy the files back to your server shares from where you stored them temporarily.
    If you really meant Folders , where exactly are the files? What's the full path to one of them?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 20, 2009 4:17 AM