How to add additonal drive partitions for unallocated space ? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a raid 5 array totaling 2.72 TB

After installing WHS 2011 I have 745 gig of unallocated space left over.

When I try to expand the D:\ partition I get an error saying it can't be done.  What do I need to do add another drive partition (E:\) for this 745 gig of unallocated space?

Thursday, June 9, 2011 2:36 AM

Answers

When I try to expand the D:\ partition I get an error saying it can't be done.  What do I need to do add another drive partition (E:\) for this 745 gig of unallocated space?

You cannot extend that partition beyond 2 TB (well, technically 2.19 TB if I remember correctly) because the partition is MBR (not GPT).  However, you should be able to create a new volume out of that free space and then add that space to the server as a "second drive".
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 3:52 AM

All replies

You cannot extend that partition beyond 2 TB (well, technically 2.19 TB if I remember correctly) because the partition is MBR (not GPT).  However, you should be able to create a new volume out of that free space and then add that space to the server as a "second drive".
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 3:52 AM
  • However, you should be able to create a new volume out of that free space and then add that space to the server as a "second drive".

All of the volume functions appear to be disabled in Server Manager > Disk Management for the unallocated space.

Thursday, June 9, 2011 4:04 AM
  • All of the volume functions appear to be disabled in Server Manager > Disk Management for the unallocated space.
    Is this your boot volume?  If so, is your motherboard an EFI board (instead of using the traditional BIOS)?
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 4:18 AM
  • Only one volume (disc 0).  4 drives - raid 5.  Hardware is Supermicro 6015P-TRB  BIOS is Phoenix
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 4:32 AM
  • Only one volume (disc 0).  4 drives - raid 5.  Hardware is Supermicro 6015P-TRB  BIOS is Phoenix
    My guess is it's probably because you're booting from that drive and your BIOS isn't EFI-enabled.
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 4:57 AM