none
Backup to SkyDrive RRS feed

• Question

• SyncToy has been my friend for many a year - I use it to take a regular automatic backup of all the family's files from one computer to spare disk space on another. It has saved me from losing vital files on at least 3 occasions. I've just seen that I need to update from V2.0 to 2.1 - a job for the weekend :)

I've just bought a Win 7 64 bit laptop for my daughter to take to Uni, and I know she will be hopeless at backing up - and will of course lose the most vital work at the most vital time. My absolute ideal would be if the sync framework/synctoy interfaced to MS Skydrive, so i could set that up for her and it would just work. I just wondered if there was any chance that this could be included in the SyncToy functionality in the near future?
    Monday, March 8, 2010 12:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• That's a good idea for synctoy, we got it.

Thanks for your suggestion. :)

Joey Liang
    Your potential our passion This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 9:42 AM
  • Hi -

I found this -  I have not tested this method to access Skydrive or checked to see if SyncToy will work but it is worth a shot to see if it would help you. Note that the posters do complain about this being slow so YMMV
    http://channel9.msdn.com/forums/Coffeehouse/511097-ShellExt-for-SkyDive/

Thanks
    Deepa

Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Friday, March 12, 2010 6:06 PM
  • Thanks to everyone for their answers.

I have just started accessing my SkyDrive directly using the free version of Gladinet - http://www.gladinet.com/

It shows it as disk and can be accessed as such, so it is very easy. However, Synchtoy didn't seem to work - it kept returning errors.

I tried copying stuff over manually. It is incredibly slow - I started uploading my photos as a backup, but it took all day to upload about 1Gb. I decided that it was my BT ADSL broadband. The connection has a reasonable download speed (2Mb) but a much slower upload (200k). So my 1 Gbyte is 8Gbits of information. So if I could use the full upload capacity, it should take me 8,000/0.2=40,000 seconds = 11.1 hours. Obviously, even that is optimistic - the upload won't be 100% efficient.

So it is useful as a backup and probably even more so for transferring from one computer to another (without using a memory stick), but the time to upload will be very long!

Monday, March 15, 2010 10:58 AM