How to save client backup data to specific drives on the server? RRS feed

• Question

• Title says it all. I have 3 client machines and 3 hard drives ( not including the WHS OS drive )  and I want to "direct" the data from each of the client machines to a different HD in the server. How to I change the data locations?

Thanks.

• Moved by kariya21Moderator Sunday, April 24, 2011 7:26 PM not a WHS v1 question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Sunday, April 17, 2011 3:50 AM

Answers

• For a WHS 2011 you can create a share on a specific disk or move an existing share to a location on an another disk.
    So to answer your question: you could craete a share for each client machine where each share in on a separte disk.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    • Marked as answer by iShawn Saturday, April 30, 2011 2:11 AM
    Sunday, April 17, 2011 6:09 PM

All replies

• Is your question about WHS v1 or WHS 2011?
    - Theo.

Sunday, April 17, 2011 5:00 PM
  • Not sure about WHS 2011, but WHS V1 definitely does not allow you to control which drives it stores the backup database on.  WHS V1 is meant to be used like an appliance, IE the WHS software removes that level of control from the user, and it supposed to make decisions like that automatically.  In fact it probably has to move the backup database around from time to time, as your backups get larger.

Sunday, April 17, 2011 5:31 PM
  • I'm sorry, I should have noted that - I have WHS 2011 installed.

Thanks for any advice.

Sunday, April 17, 2011 5:51 PM
  • For a WHS 2011 you can create a share on a specific disk or move an existing share to a location on an another disk.
    So to answer your question: you could craete a share for each client machine where each share in on a separte disk.

- Theo.

• Marked as answer by iShawn Saturday, April 30, 2011 2:11 AM
    Sunday, April 17, 2011 6:09 PM
  • So, 9 clients means I need 9 separate disks?

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

For a WHS 2011 you can create a share on a specific disk or move an existing share to a location on an another disk.

- Theo.

BullDawg
    Sunday, April 17, 2011 8:29 PM
  • So, 9 clients means I need

9 separate disks?

(*confused*)
    If you want to "backup" client data to a server share and every share should be a separte disk (at least that is what the original poster asked for): yes.
    Not a normal configuration, but I can think of one or two reason why one would want to do this....

Concerning regular WHS client backups: No need for separate disks of coarse.
    All client will backup to the same backup database. This database will be on one of your disks. You are free to choose which one.

- Theo.

Sunday, April 17, 2011 8:47 PM
  • Yes, I am confused.  Most likely because I don't have the entire thread. (NNTP Bridge did not get the beginning.  There are still problems with the Bridge picking everything up.)  Sorry for the hassle, but with the part(s) of the thread I had, it just didn't make sense to me.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

So, 9 clients means I need

9 separate disks?

(*confused*)
    If you want to "backup" client data to a server share and every share should be a separte disk (at least that is what the original poster asked for): yes.
    Not a normal configuration, but I can think of one or two reason why one would want to do this....

Concerning regular WHS client backups: No need for separate disks of coarse.
    All client will backup to the same backup database. This database will be on one of your disks. You are free to choose which one.

- Theo.

BullDawg
    Sunday, April 17, 2011 9:07 PM
  • Bulldawg - you can follow the full thread on the Microsoft forum website below, instead of using NNTP

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/1597023c-84c1-435e-b331-f0cb19d0a78e

Monday, April 18, 2011 1:11 PM
  • Thanks that did it - sorry for the delay, it took me a while to find time to sit down and try it.

Saturday, April 30, 2011 2:10 AM