2010 - Synch to Protected Actuals RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using 2010 Server.  What does the Synch to Protected Actuals option do?

Monday, October 18, 2010 1:54 AM

Answers

• Hi Joe,

If you have enabled to option 'Only allow task updates via Tasks and Timesheets' under 'Task Settings and Display' in PWA, all task updates (actual work) entered in My Tasks and updated into Microsoft Project become 'Protected Actuals': i.e. you are not allowed to modify actual work from within Microsoft Project.

You can however, for what-if analysis or any other purpose, modify actual work temporary in your project plan. As a result, actual work is out-of-sync with the 'protected' actual work entered in PWA. Using the 'Synch to Protected Actuals' option, you can resynchronize actual work in your schedule with actual work imported from the server.

If you save your project, actual work is automatically sync'ed with protected actuals.

They way I see it, this feature is a left-over from Project Server 2003 and has no use anymore in Project Server 2010 (people should not be able to modify actual work in the first place if you enable the option 'Only allow task updates via Tasks and Timesheets'). But that's a different discussion...

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Monday, October 18, 2010 9:07 AM

All replies

• Hi Joe,

If you have enabled to option 'Only allow task updates via Tasks and Timesheets' under 'Task Settings and Display' in PWA, all task updates (actual work) entered in My Tasks and updated into Microsoft Project become 'Protected Actuals': i.e. you are not allowed to modify actual work from within Microsoft Project.

You can however, for what-if analysis or any other purpose, modify actual work temporary in your project plan. As a result, actual work is out-of-sync with the 'protected' actual work entered in PWA. Using the 'Synch to Protected Actuals' option, you can resynchronize actual work in your schedule with actual work imported from the server.

If you save your project, actual work is automatically sync'ed with protected actuals.

They way I see it, this feature is a left-over from Project Server 2003 and has no use anymore in Project Server 2010 (people should not be able to modify actual work in the first place if you enable the option 'Only allow task updates via Tasks and Timesheets'). But that's a different discussion...

I hope this helps,
    Hans

Monday, October 18, 2010 9:07 AM
  • Hi,

Where do i find this option in 2007

i dont read something exactly as this when i go to "Task settings and display"

'Only allow task updates via Tasks and Timesheets' under 'Task Settings and Display'

Thanks

mp

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 8:12 AM
  • Hi Max_Pin,

In Project Server 2007 this option this option is available as:

PWA -> Server Settings -> Task Settings and Display -> Restrict updates to Project Web Access.

Regards,
    Hans

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 8:23 AM
  • Hi Hans, Thanks

What i wanted to confirm was; once the resource updates actuals in Update TAsks in PWA. Can we be able to do some settings

where he/she would not be able to go and update the actuals again. In other words i dont want team member to update actuals more than once.

Please advise

thanks

mp

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 8:26 AM
  • Hi Max_Pin,

As long as the task has not been locked using the 'Close Tasks for Updates' feature, team members will be able to update the actuals on the task.

You might want to take a look at the Timesheet feature. This allows you to define and close timesheet periods. Team members cannot enter actuals in a closed period. Timesheet hours can be imported in the My Tasks page for updating into the project. Unfortunately, Single Entry mode is not available in Project Server 2007 (you will have to setup single entry mode yourself using the solution starter that can be found on Codeplex), so without coding, this import is a manual process.

Hans

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 8:31 AM
  • Hi Hans, Thanks a lot for your response

Mp

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 8:33 AM