Mac Connector Installation (WHS 2011) - Cannot Connect This Computer To The Server problem RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I'm having problems installing the WHS 2011 Mac connector software on a Mac Mini (running Mac OS 10.6.7).  It goes through the installation process and at the user credentials stage I give the computer a name eg. "MacMini" or something similar and it then goes and it goes off to to do the configuring but always comes back with an error "Cannot connect this computer to the server.  Cannot connect to the server using the name that was entered.  Check if the specified value is correct and try again".  It doesn't crash like I've seen reported elsewhere just shows the error and gives me an option to "Go Back" which shuts down the connector installation.

I've tried a couple of name variants but always the same problem.  I can connect to the server using Finder and access files so I'm confused what's wrong.  Anyone help?

Thanks,

Simon

Bump - anyone?
    • Moved by Ken Warren Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:20 AM WHS 2011 question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:11 PM

Answers

• Len, if you're running OS 10.7 (Lion) you won't be able to install the Windows Home Server connector, because Lion includes an application named Launchpad (supplied by Apple). There are workarounds (rename the Mac Launchpad temporarily/permanently then install the WHS Launchpad, then change names as suits you) but they'll cause issues when it comes time to upgrade.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

The naming issue is already fixed. The problem here is that the user credentials are not accepted.

*Edit: Found it! The simple answer is that the user accounts that I tried with were just users. It has to be an administrator that makes the connection.

• Edited by lensv Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:13 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:56 AM

All replies

• I have the exact same problem. Did you ever find an answer here?
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:20 PM
  • Len, if you're running OS 10.7 (Lion) you won't be able to install the Windows Home Server connector, because Lion includes an application named Launchpad (supplied by Apple). There are workarounds (rename the Mac Launchpad temporarily/permanently then install the WHS Launchpad, then change names as suits you) but they'll cause issues when it comes time to upgrade.
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:20 AM
  • The date shown that you posted this is June 2, 2011.  Correct your timezone, date, and time.  Then, try the Connector again.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Hi,

I'm having problems installing the WHS 2011 Mac connector software on a Mac Mini (running Mac OS 10.6.7). It goes through the installation process and at the user credentials stage I give the computer a name eg. "MacMini" or something similar and it then goes and it goes off to to do the configuring but always comes back with an error "Cannot connect this computer to the server. Cannot connect to the server using the name that was entered. Check if the specified value is correct and try again". It doesn't crash like I've seen reported elsewhere just shows the error and gives me an option to "Go Back" which shuts down the connector installation.

I've tried a couple of name variants but always the same problem. I can connect to the server using Finder and access files so I'm confused what's wrong. Anyone help?

Thanks,

SimonBump - anyone?

BullDawg
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 4:04 AM

The naming issue is already fixed. The problem here is that the user credentials are not accepted.

*Edit: Found it! The simple answer is that the user accounts that I tried with were just users. It has to be an administrator that makes the connection.

• Edited by lensv Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:13 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:56 AM
  • I'm having this exact same issue, but when I enter in the Admin/Password I'm still getting this error.  Can you help me?  
    Friday, January 4, 2013 8:27 PM
  • This is apparently a problem with Update Rollup 4 for the server.  If you remove this update it will allow you to move forward with the installation of the MAC connector software using Admin credentials.  Hope this helps.  (It seems you can apply the update after the software installs and everything should continue to work.)
    Monday, January 14, 2013 6:08 PM