none
Mass activation on cluster - how? RRS feed

• Question

• For some reason some of the nodes did not activate automatically after deployment. In order to activate them I need to use the slmgr.vbs -skms <servername> and then reboot and then when it asks for activation, I choose - activate online - and then sometimes it works, but still not always.

I have a fairly big cluster and it is difficult going to each node and do that. I am aware of the clusrun command, but I found that slmgr -ato is not working, so I need to actually reboot after -skms and then if I am lucky - it works :)

Any clues?
    Regards
    Ivan
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 4:49 PM

Answers

• Ah I see, sounds like you need to specify the specific fqdn of the enterprise KMS server in order for this to work - I'm not sure that just specifying the domain name will work.
    Regards
    Dan
    • Marked as answer by iivuch Wednesday, August 12, 2009 11:40 AM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 11:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Ivan, hope you're well.
    What type of license key are we talking about here? If it's a KMS key you only need to install it on a server which you have dedicated as a Key Management Server. This action will (depending on your AD infrastructure & DNS permissions) create a service record in DNS as _VLMCS._TCP Once you've carried out this action nodes installed from volume license media will automatically contact the KMS server via the service record entry in DNS and will pick up a valid key. The standard activate windows task will then work from a node template with no need for any slmgr steps.
    If you are using slmgr -skms on each node then each node will attempt to set itself up as a KMS server, but each KMS key is only valid to register a set number of kms servers which is probably why you're seeing failures.
    My advice would be to check DNS for _VLMCS._TCP service records & see what's there. If there are more than one, choose which server you want to be your KMS server, delete the other DNS entries, and make sure the chosen one is set up correctly by checking slmgr -ato output. Now rebuild all other nodes without any slmgr commands. Note that a KMS server will not start to activate clients until 5 have requested license / activation, this can be traced in the -ato output.
    I hope this is relatively clear, basically the process is set up a KMS server on a head node or management server which your compute nodes have access to, and then trust the node template standard activation task.
    Cheers
    Dan

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:53 AM
  • Dan,

It is a volume license key given to me by iSolutions representative in our University. So I am using the -skms <the SOTON domain name> in order to set the KMS server. When logged to an un-activated node, I can ping the internet - for instance www.google.co.uk, but I cannot ping our domain name ..

When trying to activate, I get I get Error Code 0x8007232B,  "DNS name does not exist".

Any clues?

Regards
    Ivan
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 11:02 AM
  • Ah I see, sounds like you need to specify the specific fqdn of the enterprise KMS server in order for this to work - I'm not sure that just specifying the domain name will work.
    Regards
    Dan
    • Marked as answer by iivuch Wednesday, August 12, 2009 11:40 AM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 11:12 AM
  • Great, probably because of the firewall my cluster is behind, it does not automatically see the enterprise KMS. I have used the slmgr.vbs -skms with the specific KMS server name and then I used slmgr.vbs -ato to activate - all works fine now. I have included that in the node maintenance template and have ran it using clusrun.

Thank you very much for you great help !
    Regards
    Ivan
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 11:43 AM
  • The firewall needs port 1688 open.
    If servername doesn't work then check WINS resolution.

Sunday, October 11, 2009 11:10 PM