Backup Options RRS feed

• Question

• I realize all sorts of backup questions have been asked and there's a bunch of different options and opinions as to what's best to use.  Maybe I can sort out my different questions in this post

1. When WHS makes a backup of all our computers, is that backup used to restore the entire computer, individual files or both?

2. I'd like to make a backup of the computer backups and the WHS shared folders (in addition to duplication) to an external drive and also to a folder that's selected for nightly off site cloud backup.  I'm just not sure how to do this after reading posts about BDBB, Synctoy, Robocopy, xcopy, etc, etc... Any ideas?

3. Any insight on Jungle Disk for cloud backup?

Thanks!
    Jamie

Saturday, April 25, 2009 2:56 AM

Answers

1. Both.
    2. Windows Home Server doesn't support backing up the backup database. With the installation of the BDBB add-in, that ability is made available through the console. Backing up and restoring the backup database is still unsupported, but the ability to access the functionality through the console instead of remote desktop is a win, if you need to back up your backup database (which is a separate question). Windows Home Server does, however, support backing up the shares to an external HDD.
    3. Cloud backup in general: it's pretty good for small amounts of data. It's slow and expensive for large amounts. The backup database is massive; it would potentially take days for the initial backup to the cloud, more days if you ever needed to restore it (during which time your server would be unusable), and would cost a small fortune in storage and data transfer fees.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 4:34 AM
  • Yes, the backup drive is for this purpose.
    No, this task cannot be automated.
    (How would you control a overrunning disk in such scenario? Since you should disconnect the disk after the backup is finished to avoid loosing the data due to the same overvoltage, which just killed the disks in your server, it makes some sense to perform these tasks manually.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 2:54 PM

All replies

1. Both.
    2. Windows Home Server doesn't support backing up the backup database. With the installation of the BDBB add-in, that ability is made available through the console. Backing up and restoring the backup database is still unsupported, but the ability to access the functionality through the console instead of remote desktop is a win, if you need to back up your backup database (which is a separate question). Windows Home Server does, however, support backing up the shares to an external HDD.
    3. Cloud backup in general: it's pretty good for small amounts of data. It's slow and expensive for large amounts. The backup database is massive; it would potentially take days for the initial backup to the cloud, more days if you ever needed to restore it (during which time your server would be unusable), and would cost a small fortune in storage and data transfer fees.

Saturday, April 25, 2009 4:34 AM
    1. Both.

For backing up the shares, is that where adding a backup drive comes in?  Then is it configured in the Computers & Backup drive?
    I'm still a little unclear on how to automate backing up the computer backups and the shares to an external drive?  Can it be automated or are these 2 separate tasks that need to be done individually?
    Thanks again!
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 2:47 PM
  • Yes, the backup drive is for this purpose.
    No, this task cannot be automated.
    (How would you control a overrunning disk in such scenario? Since you should disconnect the disk after the backup is finished to avoid loosing the data due to the same overvoltage, which just killed the disks in your server, it makes some sense to perform these tasks manually.)
    Olaf
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 2:54 PM
  • What I was considering is having the backups automated so they run at night when nobody is using the computers and disconnect it to remove from site in the morning.  But manually works fine too.

Let me see if I got this right:
    1. Add an external Backup Drive
    2. Instal BDBB and cofigure it to backup the computer backups to the external Backup Drive (manual process?).
    3. Under Computers & Backup, configure the shares to be backedup to the external Backup Drive (automatic process?).
    4. Remove external drive from site whenever desired.

Someone suggested using Synctoy after BDBB.  Where would this come into play

Thanks again.
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 3:44 PM
  • 2. and 3.: None of those is automatic.
    SyncToy is helpfull, if you want to synchonize local folders on the client with shares on your server automatically or eventually folders on WHS with an external network disk (not sure about the later, in case it works, it would definitively be unsupported).
    Olaf
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 4:04 PM