<ping> Advanced Search Box results in new window RRS feed

• Question

• Re-posting to get attention... anyone there? Is this a known issue?

I've put the advanced search box on my site, but clicking on a result opens a new window. LAME. Is there a setting that will open results in the same window?

Here's the test page. http://www.greatscotshop.com/searchtest.htm

Compare the experience between the Live search box at the top and the Google search box in the middle of the page.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 3:07 PM

Answers

• To do that, I think you would need to use the Live API.

Should be fairly straight-forward since you have already done that with Google.

FWIW - From my perspective, it would be very strange if it didn't open in a new window in the case of the advanced search box.  You would end up browsing inside a box in the middle of the web page, until you explicitly clicked close?  Having it go to the parent window might make sense, but even advanced users wouldn't all agree that was the expected behavior.  Myself, I would use the API regardless, I don't care for the advanced search box UI at all.

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 12:12 AM

All replies

• To do that, I think you would need to use the Live API.

Should be fairly straight-forward since you have already done that with Google.

FWIW - From my perspective, it would be very strange if it didn't open in a new window in the case of the advanced search box.  You would end up browsing inside a box in the middle of the web page, until you explicitly clicked close?  Having it go to the parent window might make sense, but even advanced users wouldn't all agree that was the expected behavior.  Myself, I would use the API regardless, I don't care for the advanced search box UI at all.

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 12:12 AM
  • Using the Live API isn't straightforward for a non-developer amateur HTML-hack like myself Smile

To do what I did with Google, all I had to do was fill out a form, much like the Advanced Search Box form, and copy/paste the HTML.

The difference is simply in the implementation of Google and Live's behavior. I like Live's drop-down results, but I really think that clicking a link should open in the parent window (not in the dropdown results frame, as you're describing, but in the top-level IE instance). Creating multiple browsing windows for the same site isn't a best practice.

My suggestion is that the Adv Search Box scripts have a parameter that allows the site builder to specify the target window for result links: new or parent.

Until then, Google will have to do, as I don't have time to learn and implement the Live API Sad

Friday, March 7, 2008 6:01 PM
  • I am in complete agreement with you. Having the results open in new window is unacceptable because it confuses the user. Now they have 2 windows open with the same website in it? It can't be that hard for MS to change the behavior so nobody has to learn how to edit the API. This is such a useful tool and encourages visitors to use Live Search instead of Google. Please fix this for us!
    Thanks, Ann
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 10:46 PM