MSN search engine is very inconsistent for my Indexes... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there,

I have the domain www.MirrorFinishPolishing.com and the search works just fine with all the other search engines and does so consistently, but MSN for some reason works really good once in a while (has been happening for quite a while now), but then then just a few hours later I can actually type in "site:  www.mirrorfinishpolishing.com" and it is just gone...just vanishes off of MSN???

I log into MSN and it shows that pages have been indexed on my site...the ranking is pretty high for "metal polishing services" according to the meter and all but its not in the search.  Also it shows that it is not blocked??

For instance yesterday around 11am it worked fine and then all of a sudden it was gone again.  I just am not sure why MSN is always doing this to my index?  All other search engines are consistent all the time.

Any information would be VERY helpful!!!

Thanks

Friday, July 11, 2008 2:59 PM

Answers

• Usually, I would say this ranking change is standard for a dynamic index, however, there is no reason why you would be in the index and out the next hour only to reappear again a few hours later. I am interested to know what your results are. Can you take some screenshots with a timestamp if you find inconstancies?

Thanks,

Brett

Friday, July 11, 2008 4:56 PM

All replies

• All of a sudden if I search for "metal polishing service" I am number one now on MSN and "polishing service" I am number eleven again.  We will see how long this lasts before I am unsearchable again.

I will keep this thread posted.

Thanks

Friday, July 11, 2008 4:07 PM
  • Usually, I would say this ranking change is standard for a dynamic index, however, there is no reason why you would be in the index and out the next hour only to reappear again a few hours later. I am interested to know what your results are. Can you take some screenshots with a timestamp if you find inconstancies?

Thanks,

Brett

Friday, July 11, 2008 4:56 PM
  • Brett,

Thanks for responding...appreciate it!  I know you must have a lot going on over there too.

So far I am searchable (knocks on wood) and this is about the longest amount of time I have been searchable in probably 3 months for MSN...very consistent since earlier today.

I will most definitely take screen shots with a timestamp when my website vanishes again and is not searchable.  I truly hope I don't have to though. Smile

Thanks

Friday, July 11, 2008 8:49 PM
  • Just wanted to give everyone an update...searches are still coming up with my page no problem.  This is the longest period of time that the searches have worked.  If there is a problem I will let everyone know.

Thanks

Friday, July 18, 2008 3:38 PM
  • Here we go again...I type in the exact phrase that used to bring me to #1 position every single time for days and days again every single time "metal polishing services" and now all of a suddent I am not even rated for it anymore or something.

FYI...I was able to come up #1 earlier today at around 4PM and now it is 10:40PM and it doesn't come up now.

What was interesting is that I thought something was going to happen because when I logged into webmasters today on MSN it didn't show my home page rank high like it usually does.  It ALWAYS showed it one mark from the highest and all of a sudden today it showed only 1 green mark, so I thought that was odd.  Well guess what...I just logged in and my Home Page is gone...just vanished after all of this time being just fine.

Any ideas on why a Home Page would just go "poof" gone? LOL  I have 24 other pages indexed and they were crawled on the 22nd...the Home page always showed a date of the 11th and never changed and now it is gone???

Anyway, I thought I would post my findings as requested by the moderator on here...I figured this would happen again sometime and now maybe we can figure out why?

It is also very interesting that I can take phrases and anything else out of any of my 24 pages and they will never come up in a search.  Google and Yahoo do rather well for any of the phrases...number one actually, but in MSN they won't come up now all of a sudden. 

Thanks

Saturday, July 26, 2008 3:46 AM
  • Ok, so I have new information here now that MSN is back to not searching my page.

I search for "site:www.mirrorfinishpolishing.com" and it comes up with all of my pages...24 pages I think it was.

I search for www.mirrorfinishpolishing and it comes up with NONE of my pages at all?????  Why not?

I search for ANY of the search terms I used to search for and came up number one for BEFORE and NOW those same exact terms aren't searchable again.

Any help would be greatly apprecaited.  Let me know if you need anymore info.

Thanks

Sunday, July 27, 2008 7:05 PM
  • really, its true...

by Paulo,
    www.conteudouniversal.com
    Monday, July 28, 2008 9:26 AM
  • I logged into MSN and I am now down to only 3 indexed pages from 24 pages just yesterday and before that my main search page POOFED out of MSN somehow. LOL

If anyone could point me in the right direction as to why this happens after 2 weeks of working perfectly fine it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Monday, July 28, 2008 6:55 PM
  • This is interesting...now my home page is back in the search engine, but it has a date of 7/11/2008 which has been the original date for a while now that has been coming up in the searches if you know what I mean.

So to re-cap...

Everything searched fine for 2 weeks or so

Everything was crawled on 7/11/2008

All pages were crawled again on 7/24/2008 except for my home page which remained with a crawl date of 7/11/2008

Searched started to now work after about 2 weeks went by

My home page vanished off of MSN which left me with 24 pages indexed or so

My indexed pages dropped to 3 today

My Home page is magically back with the same original index date of 7/11/2008.

Thanks

Monday, July 28, 2008 7:00 PM
  • Ok, so now all my pages are gone. LOL

So, about 3 weeks ago I had 24 pages being indexed and everything searching fine, 3 days or so ago I had my main page taken out and 23 pages left which still didn't allow me to come up for anything even if I took several words straight out of what was indexed.

2 days later I was down to 3 pages and now a day later I am down to 0 pages indexed?????

Anyone know what in the world is going on over there?

Thanks

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 4:20 PM
  • Ok, so now my homepage is mysteriously back and I have 2 other pages as well indexed, but the indexed dates are 7/11 and 7/12?? What is up with that?

Thursday, July 31, 2008 8:19 PM
  • I'm having the same problem with my site: raw paleo diet forum. Sometimes, in the summary, it lists the index page from 7/2/2008. It won't come up in searches at all. Other times it's listed from a crawl on 7/27/2008, with a high rank and then I get a lot of referals and it comes up in first place for key words.

Why is it sometimes using the older page with a lower rank and others, the newer page with a higher rank? Shouldn't the most recent page be used always?

Here are a couple of screenshots showing the two different dates: I can't get the index page to show the 27th but when it does, it's ranked high. You can see the other page is from the 27th, when the site was last crawled.

Any idea what's going on?

Thanks,

Craig

P.S. The screen shot only shows up in preview. Here is the direct link: http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk89/rawpaleoforum/Screenshot-SiteSummary-WebmasterToo.png

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 5:47 AM
  • I think it is a minor glitch in MSNs system. I have been noticing that same issue on my side. After a while the correct date which is the most current date settles in. No biggie if you ask me. If it shows 7/27 your site got crawled 7/27.
    Tuesday, August 5, 2008 10:44 PM
  • Thanks! That does help.

How long did it take for yours to settle in? It was using the most recent for the last part of last month and I got 137 referrals. Now, nothing. That's a lot of missed referrals. When I look at top backlinks, that changes too. Sometimes seven, nine, or ten.
    Will this settle in also?

Has yours settled in yet? If it has, how long did it take?  Sorry to reiterate but I just want to know what to expect as it's driving me crazy.

Thanks again,

Craig
    Tuesday, August 5, 2008 11:36 PM
  • Craig,

The switching back and forth should have no affect on your actual rankings within the search results. I noticed it settle in after a couple of days. I would not pay to much attention to it.

I went a couple months without being crawled and then all of a sudden I was crawled and I thought Live webmaster tools was playing games with me when it reverted back to the old date, but it wasn't it really got crawled. Check your keywords and I am sure you are still ranking.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 11:43 PM
  • But it does, Andrew. That's the problem. When I check the keywords they are ranking but when I do an actual search, they aren't.

For instance, "raw paleo forum" (without the quotes) was coming up #1 in an actual search when the summary listed the index page from the 27th. Now that the summary is listing the index page from the 2nd, it's nowhere to be found in an actual search even though the keywords say it's still #1.

I understand the webmaster tools is beta but this is happening in actual searches regardless of what the keywords tell me. So, I believe MSN is actually counting the older one over the newer. I've checked it several times and the only time I got substantial referrals was when it was coming up in actual searches.

It should be #1. After all, how many sites cater to people who eat a raw paleo diet? None that I can think of. Believe it or not, raw paleo forum is the most common search term according to awstats and I got over 600 referals from Google last month.

We don't sell anything or have ads. We just want people who are looking, to be able to find us.

Craig
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 12:11 AM
  • I dunno.. Could be a different datacenter.

I can just speak from experience with the same problem you are having as to the reverting of current crawl to past crawl. After tops 48 hours the date never changed back.

Open up a new thread related to your issues and see what one of the moderators / webmaster tools program guys say. If you scan some previous posts you will see that you are not the only one who has had this issue and that overall it is a minor glitch. :/

Wish I could tell you more, I did query that exact phrase and did not see the site listed in your profile on the first 3 pages.

Dunno m8..

Stick with it.
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 12:23 AM
  • Craig,

You are 100% correct.. Mine flipped back to 6/8/08 for some reason this morning. I have noticed my rank disappear for a certain keyword.. Weird dude.. No clue.. :/
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 8:19 AM
  • MSN is slowly working my pages back up...now up to 9 again and the "page rank" is really high now again on my home page www.mirrorfinishpolishing.com   Although it has all these in there and used to come up #1 for Metal Polishing Services I don't see it come up anywhere now in MSN even though the pages are getting indexed again now.  Anyone have any idea why my pages are now indexed just like before, but the pages just don't come up in a search result now?

Thanks

Monday, August 11, 2008 3:01 PM
  • Same here! They crawled on the 8th and are giving it a higher ranking once again.

Craig
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 7:28 AM
  • Now my ranking score on my main page went from really high to really low all overnight and more than half of my pages are now out of the index which doesn't really matter because the pages don't search anyway even if the ranking is high.  They used to and then all of a sudden about a month ago all of this started happening where MSN decided to not come up with my site in a search when before it was #1. LOL

I am still waiting for help. Smile

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 1:54 PM