Getting XBOX WMC Extender to work with WHS2011 and Windows 8 RRS feed

• Question

• I have 4 Xbox’s, three computers running Win8.  As far as my server, I have an HP EX485 which originally had WHSv1 installed.  I wiped the HP and installed WS2012 Essentials, then wiped and tried Windows 8 as a server on the HP, then finally ended up using WHS2011. 

My main computer (DESKTOP) is running Win8 with Media Center App added on.  At one point, I had the Xbox showing the server folders in the XBOX video/pictures/music apps (by the way I am running XBOX beta).  They were able to see those folders.  I installed WMC extender on the XBOX.  Nothing shows up.  I tried HomeGroup, enabling Guest account, changing permissions, etc...  The WMC works perfect on the DESKTOP but when I add the shared folders on the WMC/XBOX, it shows the correct folders (WHS/Videos, etc...) but no files.  "WHS" is the name of my server.  I am stumped.

All the computers in my house can see the server (WHS2011) shared folders but the XBOX WMC does not.  Also, with all the tweaks and trys, I now go into the XBOX apps (Video/Music/Pics Apps) the list of computers (servers) is now growing...I try to connect to any one of them and the first level folder may show up (ie. WHS/Pictures) or don't show up at all but after going into a folder like "Pictures", it shows no folders/files exist.  I have tried sharing ALL permissions on the server hard drive, Added "Everyone" with rights, you name it I believe I have tried it.  Stumped. 

I am good with computers, so for a normal user this has got to be a nightmare.  This has got to be easier.  I almost to the point of going back to WHS v1, Win7 on the computers, and starting all over with Xbox’s. 

• Edited by Slapshot777 Sunday, October 7, 2012 10:24 PM
    Sunday, October 7, 2012 10:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

From your description, it seems that all the folders' permission have been added properly. And the WMC/XBOX chould recevie the folder view. However, the files in the folder could be not listed. If the issue only occurred in XBOX WMC Extender and the issue could be reproduced all the time, I think it's time to submit a feedback to Microsoft:

Title: Microsoft Connect Site

URL: https://connect.microsoft.com/

Regards,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by James Xiong Tuesday, October 30, 2012 8:32 AM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 3:00 AM