librabot/1.0 RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have several websites that are seeing a lot of traffic from the 219.142.53.0/26 subnet identifying itself as librabot/1.0 (+http://search.msn.com/msnbot.htm)

The URL there does not mention or identify "librabot" in any way.

The subnet being used has no valid DNS PTR records.

I am preparing to block these robots as I am totally unable to confirm them as being part of a legitimate network.  I just want find out if there is any other information available here first.

Monday, January 26, 2009 11:57 PM

Answers

• Hi miqrogroove,

I am not aware of this bot.

219.142.53.026 is from China(CN) in region Southern and Eastern Asia. We do have operations there, but at the very least, it is not msnbot and I think it is safe to say that blocking this IP will not block msnbot.

Brett
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:27 PM

All replies

• Hi miqrogroove,

I am not aware of this bot.

219.142.53.026 is from China(CN) in region Southern and Eastern Asia. We do have operations there, but at the very least, it is not msnbot and I think it is safe to say that blocking this IP will not block msnbot.

Brett
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:27 PM
  •  

Thank you for the quick reply Brett.

I have confirmed librabot did not respond to changes in robots.txt made 48 hours ago.  I am taking action to block these robots on 5 of my websites and will check back in a couple days to see how that's going.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 11:10 PM
  • After blocking librabot, I found that it continues to try to contact the site at the same rate as before it was blocked.  It cannot contact the site, however, so the problem is solved for now.

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 2:42 AM