How to get Money 2007 updates after 2011? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using Money 2007 Deluxe happily since 2006, and I have the original (non-updated) disc, without the service packs. The last time I installed, which was when Windows 7 came out (I think it was late September), it got the updates fine from the Microsoft server, but I'm obviously concerned this won't be possible after January.

Where would I get a disc with the updates already on it, or how can I make one from my current installation? Can I reinstall on a new HD and somehow "capture" the update files? I looked all over the place for a standalone update and couldn't find one. Can I copy the files from my original disc, replace one or two, and burn an install CD? Which files were updated by the service packs? Surely someone has tried this already, I'd rather not mess up my install before I have to...

Also, once my financial institutions are set up in Money, will the online services for those institutions essentially work "forever", or at least until the institution turns off its OFX service? Or can Microsoft turn this off through an update? I know about the two-year online services limit, but the counter must reset itself after every fresh install, because I've never seen it. In fact, I don't ever remember going over two years between fresh OS installs.

Anyway, I'm not sure what I'll do if/when the updates get shut off. It's valuable, but being able to manage my accounts offline may be worth continuing to use Money. My main bank is just now rolling out an online money manager that is supposed to handle accounts from other banks, so I think I'll see how that's working by the end of the year and make my "final" decision then.

Appreciate any ideas.
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 3:43 AM

Answers

• Aside from what Mark offered, my other thought is this: why not just upgrade to M+ Sunset? It makes an attempt to provide offline help, works no better or worse than M07 otherwise, avoids the issue you raise and is free.
    • Marked as answer by BobSmiley Friday, May 21, 2010 10:43 PM
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 3:02 AM

All replies

• There is no 2007 install disk with all of the updates. But one suggestion that was made for 2005 users (where the updates were really important since the file format changed) was to copy the mnycorefiles folder "after" an update and save that. Then after a fresh install, replace the installed mnycorefiles with that copy.

Direct online services (those initiated by Money) will NOT work after online services are disabled in Jan. This includes statements, billpay and quotes (in addition to the update of Money system files).

You can still go to your institution's website and download an OFX of QIF statement to import into Money (as long as that institution supports that option).

-Mark

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 9:10 PM
  • Aside from what Mark offered, my other thought is this: why not just upgrade to M+ Sunset? It makes an attempt to provide offline help, works no better or worse than M07 otherwise, avoids the issue you raise and is free.
    • Marked as answer by BobSmiley Friday, May 21, 2010 10:43 PM
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 3:02 AM
  • I guess I will have to.  I was under the impression that once your financial institutions were set up in Money, there was no longer a need for the program to contact Microsoft's servers--it just connected directly with your bank.  If it still needs a Microsoft server to work (and thus won't work after Jan 2011), you're right--there's no advantage in sticking with 2007.
    • Proposed as answer by Wilbur Rhodes Thursday, February 22, 2018 11:57 PM
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 5:24 PM
  • I do have a Money 2007 installation disc that is already fully updated.  What I did was, when the news of Money's demise came to light in June 2009, I contacted Microsoft about my concerns, and they sent me a CD in the mail of Money 2007 Deluxe that is already fully updated.  Obviously, now that the Sunset version is out, there's really no need to go through all that trouble.  You can just use the Sunset version if you'd prefer.
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 5:33 PM
  • I got Microsoft Money 2004 Version 14 preinstalled in my HP latop PC. I do not have installation CD for the same. Now, since I have bought a new laptop & I need to use MS Money. How can I do so ? Can I use MS Money sunset for the same ? Will the data be recognised ? Im from India

I dont use the online service since the financial institutions do not support. So I do it manually.

please help

Saturday, July 31, 2010 8:00 AM
  • You can use Money Sunset IF your existing data file is a US localized data file. If it's an international localized file, I don't think Sunset will work with your data.

Your best bet is to download Sunset and try it with your data. Beyond that, I'm thinking you are going to be out of luck.

• Edited by Dick WatsonModerator Saturday, July 31, 2010 4:15 PM because apparently shouldn't type at all before 7am
    Saturday, July 31, 2010 12:16 PM
  • I got Microsoft Money 2004 Version 14 preinstalled in my HP latop PC. I do not have installation CD for the same. Now, since I have bought a new laptop & I need to use MS Money. How can I do so ? Can I use MS Money sunset for the same ? Will the data be recognised ? Im from India

I dont use the online service since the financial institutions do not support. So I do it manually.

please help

Version 14 of Microsoft Money  is Money 2005.  Help->About will indicate the version.

As Dick says, you might be able to read your file with Money Plus sunset version, but more likely you will get an incompatible version error

One top possibility, then, would be to export each account to a QIF file from the old version on the old computer. Use meaningful filenames. With the new Sunset version on the new computer, File->Import ALL AT ONCE using Ctrl+<click> to select files. Specify "New or Recovered" account when asked. That ALL-AT-ONCE  thing lets Money recognize transfers rather than seeing them as independent transactions. See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;178830

There are some things lost in conversion, but I think it is worth trying. Keep a safe copy of the Money Plus sunset version install file for future.

Saturday, July 31, 2010 2:57 PM
  • How do you contact Microsoft for a copy of this?  Or how do you make/find/buy a copy?  I really need to keep online statements working until the end of the year.
    Monday, August 9, 2010 11:13 PM