none
Programmer path? RRS feed

• Question

• I develop small embedded systems that runs without OS. I want to learn Windows programming. I have two goals. One is; I want to make programs to serve as interfaces for some devices that communicate with it. I won't write very sophisticated programs but i want to learn the basics and inner workings(only just enough not very deeply) not just some ready templates. Because i feel uncomfortable when i face a problem with that kind of training or knowledge. For example i once work on visual c++ 6 and used MFC. I got lost most of the time and could not created effective and clean programs. I left it 10 years ago and after 10 years i studied c# with net4.0 with some text boks and video training at a beginner level. I still did not created a program that makes something useful, only exercises etc. Even in exercises i faced some problems that are difficult to solve without knowing the basics even though c# and .net is very well established and has substantial library. My second goal is to learn Windows compact edition. I have strong c background, moderate c++ background and beginner level c# background. I don't know which way to go to form a solid background to write programs effectively, cleanly and without hesitation. Can you suggest me something? Thanks.
    Saturday, March 9, 2013 9:32 PM

Answers

• If you're not asking about exams you should ask your question in an appropriate forum, but in my opinion C# solves most of the problems. Nevertheless it is a good idea to take a look at C++. As you already said, I would recommend that you learn the basics and then go deeper as needed.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

@Horizon_Net | Blog

• Proposed as answer by Marc Ambrosius Monday, March 25, 2013 10:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by zamera Friday, March 29, 2013 10:01 PM
    Saturday, March 23, 2013 5:30 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

from what I know there are no exams for C++ or for the Compact Edition. To get an overview about the developer exams have a look at the MCPD or MCSD certification paths. If you want to go for a Windows certification you should have a look at the MCPD: Windows Developer.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

@Horizon_Net | Blog

Sunday, March 10, 2013 5:28 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

from what I know there are no exams for C++ or for the Compact Edition. To get an overview about the developer exams have a look at the MCPD or MCSD certification paths. If you want to go for a Windows certification you should have a look at the MCPD: Windows Developer.

@Horizon_Net | Blog

Sunday, March 10, 2013 5:28 PM
    Answerer
  • Has your question been answered? If so, please mark the post as answer so other community members with a similar question can find help faster.

@Horizon_Net | Blog

Sunday, March 17, 2013 5:02 PM
    Answerer
  • Don't think about exams. What path should i follow? My emphasis is mainly on Windows Compact edition. Do i need c++ or is c# enough? I know that sometimes winapi is needed to solve some problems that cannot be implemented using c# and .net what should i do to learn some basics and go into deeper as needed? I only scratch surface of the windows programming, i have embedded programming experience but i know very little about Windows Compact. 

Saturday, March 23, 2013 2:19 PM
  • If you're not asking about exams you should ask your question in an appropriate forum, but in my opinion C# solves most of the problems. Nevertheless it is a good idea to take a look at C++. As you already said, I would recommend that you learn the basics and then go deeper as needed.

@Horizon_Net | Blog

• Proposed as answer by Marc Ambrosius Monday, March 25, 2013 10:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by zamera Friday, March 29, 2013 10:01 PM
    Saturday, March 23, 2013 5:30 PM
    Answerer