Page language is ca; Huh? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.  The Live bot crawled my page several times and keeps reporting the language as 'ca' and region as 'us' (on the Webmaster Center Summary page).  You read that correctly: language of ca.  What language is ca?  I'm nearly certain that it's not a language.

From MSN's cache, here are some snippets of my HTML source.

1. <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" dir="ltr" lang="en-us" xml:lang="en-us">

2. <meta name="language" content="en-us" />

Here is the raw HTTP header:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Cache-Control: public, max-age=72694
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
    Content-Language: en-us
    Expires: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 20:59:47 GMT
    Last-Modified: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 20:59:47 GMT
    ETag: "Rf9GaQdUZ3d5adHPr0tStSseBjM="
    Vary: Accept-Encoding
    Server: Microsoft-IIS/7.0
    X-AspNet-Version: 2.0.50727
    X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
    Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 00:48:13 GMT
    Content-Length: 17141

Please help me understand this and get it corrected.

Thursday, September 4, 2008 12:58 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

How long has this been going on? If it has been more than a couple weeks, could you please fill out the webmaster support form so that we can create a support ticket.  

Thanks,

Brett

Thursday, September 4, 2008 6:50 PM
  • Yes, Brett, it has been more than a couple of weeks.  It has been about 5 weeks, at least.  The bot crawled the page in late July, which is when I noticed the 'ca' issue.  (It may have been an issue prior; I did not notice.)  Then, the bot just crawled my page again on 8/27/08, and it persisted.

I filled out the support form: Support Ticket Number: 1077935497

Thursday, September 4, 2008 9:54 PM
  • Faye told me to get lost. The moderator of the forum tells me to submit the support request.  Support tells me to use the forum.  Passing the buck, in a circle--nice.

---- The reply to my support request  -------------------------

Hello Lee,

Thank you for writing to Live Search Technical Support. My name is Faye and I understand that you are seeing language is ca in Webmaster Tools. I appreciate that you have taken the time to write us about this.

Since the Webmaster Tools is not currently supported in Live Search, you may check if anyone else has encountered or resolved the same issue in our Webmaster Tools Forum:

http://forums.microsoft.com/webmaster/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=1978&SiteID=79

We appreciate your continued support as we strive to provide you with the highest quality service available. Thank you for using Live Search.

Sincerely,

Faye

Live Search Technical Support 

Friday, September 5, 2008 6:52 PM
  • I got the message below on Sept 12, 2008, and the problem still exists today.

Sent: Friday, September 12, 2008 5:27 PM

Hi, Lee

My name is James and I am with the Microsoft Global Escalations team. I have been assigned to help you with your issue, and my records indicate that you reporting an issue with the Webmaster Tools reporting the incorrect market for your site.

We are aware of this issue and are working on a solution. At this time there is no estimated time of resolution.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and would like to thank you for your patience and understanding in working with us.

Thanks,
    James
    Microsoft Global Escalations

Friday, October 3, 2008 4:36 AM
  • My apologies. That shouldn't have happened. I'll forward this to my manager.

By the way, what is your domain name? I could not locate a reference to it...

Thanks,

Brett

Friday, October 3, 2008 6:23 PM
  •  

Brett,

I appreciate your attention to this matter.  I've purposely not included my domain name, because I do not want forum postings in organic search results for my site.  Can you do it from the LiveSearchSiteAuth key?

Friday, October 3, 2008 11:21 PM
  • Brett,

This blasted forum eats most of my replies.  I'm sick of composing them multiple times.  I had a meaninful response, but it's gone now!

Annoyed,

Lee

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 3:33 AM
  • The Webmaster Center is still reporting the page language as 'ca' for my page.

Monday, November 17, 2008 6:12 AM
  • Please send your domain name to lswmc@microsoft.com and I will take a look.

Brett

Monday, December 22, 2008 5:54 PM