Migration Project Server 2003 to 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I need to perform a particular migration scenario from PS 2003 to PS 2007.
    And I think I will need advice from a very skilled MS-project guy.

The PS 2003 projects are hosted on 3 distinct locations (3 servers), which have to be migrated into one unique 2007 instance.

The problem is, the "Global migration step" (the first step where the resource, global enterprise etc. are being migrated) can only be performed ONE TIME.
    So I can migrate my resource from MSP2003_DB1, but not MSP2003_DB2 or MSP2003_DB3.

My question is : which flag should I change from table MSP_P12UPGRADE_UPGRADE_RUN_PHASES to be able to restart the "Global migration step" and migrate te resources from the 2 other db ?

Thanks
    John

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:32 PM

Answers

• Hi batz09,

I'm afraid Alexander is right. You cannot merge multiple instances of Project Server 2003 into one Project Server 2007 using the migration tool (enterprise global templates cannot be merged).

Personally I would go for a manual 'merge all' and migrate scenario rather than 'migrate all and merge'.

But the manual merge process is not going to be easy and requires careful preparation: the target system must contain ALL custom fields, ALL resources, must all use the same settings, depending on which settings you use you have to be careful not to loose actual data during the merge, etc.

Do you really need all hostorical data in the new environment? Maybe it is easier to keep the Project Server 2003 databases for reporting purposes and start fresh in the new system (or only merge some selected projects).

And finally, is the migration to 2007 temporary to migrate to 2010 afterwards? If not, why not migrating to 2010 which has a lot exiting new features to offer.

I hope ths helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am not sure that merging of databases is a supported option. Perhaps you can upgrade all three manually then manually migrate the contents of the two smaller databases into the other 2007 database, this would take care of the database related data being consistent. If there are Project workspaces in the mix, then that would have to be done manually.

Hope this helps,

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 2:32 AM
  • Thanks for your help.

I was thinking about this "all 3 upgrade - then merge" option as final solution. But it's a much longer process as the one I would like to do.

What I see is a working P12MigrationTool that is able to migrate the resources ! 
    I would really apreciate if I could launch it for each 2003 database, and I'm sure there is an (hidden) option available to get this done.
    So I hope some over-skilled MS Project team member will see my question, and help me  :)

Thanks again

Thursday, June 16, 2011 9:56 AM
  • Hi batz09,

I'm afraid Alexander is right. You cannot merge multiple instances of Project Server 2003 into one Project Server 2007 using the migration tool (enterprise global templates cannot be merged).

Personally I would go for a manual 'merge all' and migrate scenario rather than 'migrate all and merge'.

But the manual merge process is not going to be easy and requires careful preparation: the target system must contain ALL custom fields, ALL resources, must all use the same settings, depending on which settings you use you have to be careful not to loose actual data during the merge, etc.

Do you really need all hostorical data in the new environment? Maybe it is easier to keep the Project Server 2003 databases for reporting purposes and start fresh in the new system (or only merge some selected projects).

And finally, is the migration to 2007 temporary to migrate to 2010 afterwards? If not, why not migrating to 2010 which has a lot exiting new features to offer.

I hope ths helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:19 PM
  • Thanks Hans for your time.

I must say I like your solution, but I'm working on a scenario that was chosen by my customer, and that wont' be changed any more !

OK, I'm now working on a migration of each 2003 db to a 2007 db, then merge to a "final"  2007 database.
    It's quite difficult but I'm going forward quite successfully (categories + groups + resource migration is quite finished)
    I'm just blocked on one specific thing : each Category has a list of authorized views that can be activated or not (at the bottom of the Categories Management page, user can check "ADD" checkboxes)

But I'm unable to find the right PSI method to get those information ... do you have any idea ?

Thank you again

Monday, June 20, 2011 4:06 PM