none
How do you change the shares from drive D to drive E RRS feed

• Question

• I want all of the share on my hardware RAID controller as opposed to a single disk (much more reliable, wastes much less space than duplication and with 512MB cache - lightning fast). But WHS could not handle a 3TB drive and my D: drive where I installed Windows was 500GB and my E: drive is 2TB - the E: drive is where I want all of the shares and a single drive could fail and again - folder duplication wastes space - may as well RAID 1 the drive for better performance.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 11:03 AM

All replies

• RAID is not supported in Windows Home Server. This may make it harder to reinstall. A relocation of the shared folders from D: (in which only the tombstones, not the real files, are stored) is not possible.
    A do not agree, that Folder duplication is wasting space generally, it may depend from the amount of data in the duplicated shared folders. But with RAID1 you always have a waste of 50% of the total capacity, with RAID 5 its one of the disks, which is lost for storage. So as long as the data in duplicated folders is smaller than the disk size of a single drive, it is no waste.
    If you have installed at least Power Pack 1, drive D: will only be used for data, if the other drives are non existent, full or needed for duplication.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 2:03 PM
  • As Olaf has pointed out, RAID is not a supported storage technology for Windows Home Server. That doesn't mean it won't work, but it will complicate the recovery scenario if you should suffer e.g. an OS corruption issue. Adding more space to your server is also problematic; does your RAID HBA support online capacity expansion (this feature allows you to "grow" an array by adding a new disk)? If not, you would need to add two (for RAID 1) or more additional disks every time you want to extend your storage, so you could create a new array and volume.

So overall, the recommendation is to not use RAID in a Windows Home Server computer. If you do, you will be somewhat on your own.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 5:01 PM