none
Touchsmart iq506 and Home Server Restore disc turns off the NIC RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using WHS since the beta, and have kept everything up to date.  I currently use it to backup 6 computers, and when I add a new computer, I test out the restore functionality on that machine.  I've recently added an HP Touchsmart iq506 computer, and the backups run flawlessly.  I have full network access, and haven't had any problems at all with the Touchsmart.

My problem is that when I try out the restore, the NIC is shut off.  In my troubleshooting, I have watched the lights on the NIC, and they stay on up to the point that the Restore CD detects the NIC.  The NIC is correctly identified as a Realtek RTL8168/8111 Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0).  Whether I have the drivers on my USB thumb drive, or let the Restore CD use whatever drivers it has, this machine cannot access the network from this point on and the lights remain off.

I am using the most recent version of the Restore CD, and have even made 2 more copies just to make sure that wasn't it.  Every time I boot to the Restore CD, the lights go off on the NIC at the point of detection by the Restore CD software.  I have not had any problems restoring a backup on any other computer here.  This problem has me a bit perplexed, and I would greatly appreciate any assistance in getting this issue resolved.  Thanks in advance.

JustDavid
    David
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 12:32 AM

Answers

• There is a workaround for computers that won't run the Restore CD successfully for whatever reason. You remove the disk from the computer that needs to be restored and connect it to some other (WHS-joined) computer on your network. Then on that computer you run:

"%ProgramFiles%\WindowsHomeServer\ClientRestoreWizard.exe"

Which runs the same tool as the restore CD, except hosted in a full Windows operating system instead of a WinPE environment.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 1:33 PM
  • The updated drivers work like a charm!
    The target system is an HP Touchsmart 816t - Vista 64

1. Downloaded the Vista 2008 drivers from Realtek here: ftp://66.104.77.130/cn/nic/Driver_Vista_6213_1222.zip
    2. Extracted the files to a folder, and copied the entire structure to a usb key
    3. Inserted usb key into target system
    4. Booted the Restore CD on the target system
    5. When prompted, selected "Install Drivers"
    6. Clicked "Scan"
    7. New drivers found
    8. Clicked "Continue"
    9. Followed the on-screen wizard to complete the restore - still restoring as I type...
    z
    Friday, January 9, 2009 5:09 AM

All replies

• Could you submit a bug report on Connect, please? Please be sure to include cabs from the server and the affected client PC, collected using the Windows Home Server toolkit.
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 12:58 AM
  • Ken, thanks for your response.  I will do as you request, but honestly, I don't see the relevance of including the cabs.  All of the backups are successful, and there will not be any indication of a failed restore on the server because the Restore CD never connects to the server.

Can you explain why I should include that information? To further my knowledge, I'd like to know your thinking behind that.

Now to go get the latest version of the toolkit...
    David
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 1:49 AM
  • The cabs contain a bunch of different logs, not just from the most recent attempted backup or restore. They will also contain any recent mini-dump files, event logs, etc. And more, I'm sure; somehow I've never taken one apart to find out. :) They're valuable information for Microsoft, though. And it only takes a couple of minutes to send them and keep Microsoft's triage team from asking for them (which they will if you don't provide them up front).
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 2:02 AM
  • Ken, thanks again.  I've read a lot of your posts, and respect your answers. 

I've posted the bug report with both CABs.

I have actually been putting off reporting this, as I was hoping to read of a similar issue here, or on one of the other WHS user forums.  The Touchsmart is fairly popular, and I am sure I am not the only one who is backing theirs up to WHS.

I once read somewhere that a backup solution is only good if the restore works!
    David
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 2:20 AM
  • There is a workaround for computers that won't run the Restore CD successfully for whatever reason. You remove the disk from the computer that needs to be restored and connect it to some other (WHS-joined) computer on your network. Then on that computer you run:

Which runs the same tool as the restore CD, except hosted in a full Windows operating system instead of a WinPE environment.

Thursday, November 27, 2008 1:33 PM
  • Ken, unfortunately this is not a viable solution nor workaround.

I too have the HP Touchsmart, and although I've got a different model, I'm experiencing the same trouble as David.  During the hardware detection phase of the restore process, the light goes dead on the LAN card.  The driver string appears in the details dialog, but no network is available when continuing the restore.

Your solution it seems, requires the hard drive of the target restore system to be _physically_ installed on the computer which is doing the restore.  Furthermore, you cannot restore a system disk while the system is running (I suspect you already know that).  Therefore, I can't even restore my system while it's healthy and running.  This is what the Restore CD provides you - an in-memory image allowing you to overwrite the otherwise running system image.  Without the Restore CD _process_, you cannot restore a system disk.  It is, dare-I-say, impossible. 

Although using your workaround will not benefit users with this problem, running the tool as you described (but on the target restore system) will allow you to restore any volume _except_ the system volume.  In the case of most HP systems, including the Touchsmart, this allows the user to restore the "HP Restore Volume".  Doesn't help me, but I've put that here for those folks who find themselves in such need.

So, back to the original poster's question.  I've got a new replacement Touchsmart that I'm trying to re-image with my old Touchsmart image... how do I do it without taking the whole thing apart (non-trival-warranty-voiding-process for the Touchsmart) and getting at the hard drive?  The Restore CD process will not properly load, or maintain rather, the LAN drivers.

z
    Friday, January 9, 2009 4:06 AM
  • Looks like there may be a solution, posted here:

http://forums.msiwind.net/windows/windows-home-server-whs-restore-advent-4211-msi-wind-t1377.html

I will try it out and get back...
    Friday, January 9, 2009 4:19 AM

1. Downloaded the Vista 2008 drivers from Realtek here: ftp://66.104.77.130/cn/nic/Driver_Vista_6213_1222.zip
    2. Extracted the files to a folder, and copied the entire structure to a usb key
    6. Clicked "Scan"
    7. New drivers found
    8. Clicked "Continue"
    9. Followed the on-screen wizard to complete the restore - still restoring as I type...
    z
    Friday, January 9, 2009 5:09 AM
  • At the beginning the OP said "whether I have the drivers on my USB thumb drive". I took that to mean that he had loaded drivers from a backup of that specific machine. Those drivers are extracted by WHS when it takes a backup of a computer, and are available in every backup set in <drive>:\Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore. This is very clearly documented in the console help files, as well as the documentation you receive with an HP MediaSmart Server (if that's what you have).

I took the OP to be saying that those drivers don't work for a restore. Now I think that perhaps he (and you) didn't even try those drivers. I say this because the HP TouchSmart PCs aren't available with any operating system but Vista. So, did you try the drivers that WHS collects for you to use? If not, could you please do so?

As for my workaround, it's a workaround because it requires you to do something other than simply plug in the Restore CD and go. I doubt that opening the case of your HP TouchSmart will void the warranty. If your hard drive were to fail I don't think HP would send a tech to your door to replace it; they'd ship you a bare drive.

Friday, January 9, 2009 12:27 PM
  • Ken, it is not a viable workaround.  Folks coming here through google, for example, will attempt your workaround and fail in every case.  They will then ask you why their hard drive is not visible in the Client Restore process, and why the target and source drives are greyed out. 

It is not appropriate to assume that everyone can remove a hard drive, or even figure out that's what needs to be done to complete your solution.

Page 7-5 of the HP MediaSmart Server manual states:

Computer Recovery
    To help you recover your computer and data in the event of a hard drive
    failure, the HP MediaSmart Server includes a PC Restore Disc. Use this disc to
    restore your computer from the HP MediaSmart Server in the event of the
    following...

Nowhere in the MSS documentation does it discuss previously gathered drivers for "special occasions".  What the documentation does suggest , however, is that the user download the latest Restore CD from the HP website before restore.  It is very likely that the drivers I pointed to in a previous post, are now included on that CD.

Your suggestion about trying a new Restore CD with the collected client drivers is an interesting point.  I'd like to look into that as a future solution.  I was unaware that such a directory existed in my backup area.

z

Friday, January 9, 2009 4:42 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

There is a workaround for computers that won't run the Restore CD successfully for whatever reason. You remove the disk from the computer that needs to be restored and connect it to some other (WHS-joined) computer on your network. Then on that computer you run:

Serious question here: What is unclear about the above? I am explicit (see added emphasis) that the drive needs to be removed from one computer and connected to another. HP will have very clear instructions on their web site if this is something that they think the owner of a Touchsmart PC might ever need to do. (I haven't gone looking, but I know that Dell makes available the service manuals for all their equipment, including instructions detailing how to remove the CPU from your Dell laptop...)

As for drivers, I don't have the HP manuals sitting in front of me, though I'm pretty sure that "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" is mentioned in them. However, the help file in the console is also part of the documentation, and I can give you a pointer there. The topic "Where can I find drivers for my hardware?" describes exactly how to get to those backups.

I mean no offense by this, but it is incumbent on the end user to read and understand (as well as possible given the less than fluent English some foreign manuals are written in/translated to) the documentation for any product they buy. Failure to do so will, I guarantee, lead to problems down the road. Like this one.

Friday, January 9, 2009 5:09 PM

6. Clicked "Scan"
    7. New drivers found
    8. Clicked "Continue"
    z

Sweet - this also worked for my Gigabyte GA-EP45 motherboard that has this same driver.  I couldn't get the above link to work, but this one worked for me...

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
    XNA Dev Manager [MSFT]
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 8:02 AM
  • JustDavid,

Did you ever find a fix for this?  It's now 2011 and I'm having the same *exact* issue with the same NIC.  I tried the updated drivers but no good.  The lights are off on my nic by the time the Load Drivers window is up and nothing brings them back.

Thanks,

-Dan

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 10:58 PM
  • I just want to reply to this for the Google users like me who are facing the same problem.

#1... you're BOTH right.

@borrowedtuna You are correct in that inserting the recovery CD that came with WHS[1] will not work... even if you download the drivers from HP, extract them with 7zip onto a USB drive and load them via the setup.  I tried both the wired nic and the wireless NIC with no joy.  The recovery will never find the server because it gets kicked off the network.

HOWEVER

@Ken Warren You're solution will work if you have the right tools and know what to do. (You're right borrowedtuna... not for the average Google user and kinda defeats the purpose of the simplicity of WHS, but it does work).  You will need to take out the two screws for the hard drive on the bottom of your TX2, pull out the hard drive and remove the four screws from the chassis holding the hard drive and then finally detach the plug.  You will then need a tool to convert the drive to a USB drive (Newegg has one from Bytecc (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156102) for about $20 (most geeks have one in their arsenal of PC hardware tools if you're not up for buying one... so maybe ask you're geek buddy to borrow his... but chances are you're not running a home server without some basic PC knowledge which is why I recommend buying one to add to your own arsenal) that will serve as an invaluable tool you'll use more than once... buy it).  Once you've plugged in the drive into a computer that's also on the WHS network, run the Wizard like Ken said, you can't screw up the OS of the running computer so don't worry, and you'll probably want to run the "disk management" tool in the background when you get to the prompt selecting the drives to restore to double check you get everything right.  then just let it do it's thing... it'll probably take over an hour to restore... but it'll all depend on the size/speed of your hard drive and the network speed.

Hopefully that'll help clarify things and maybe help myself when this laptop needs to be restored again in a year or so and I forgot what I did.

Friday, September 30, 2011 7:19 PM
  • In reality, what you want to do with any computer that has a Realtek NIC is throw the NIC out the window in frustration... No, sorry. I don't like Realtek NICs for lots of reasons, and this is only one small one, really.

Actually, you want to peruse the FAQ section, where you'll find a post that deals with RealTek NICs and the home computer restore CD. Something about the way the drivers install into a running OS means that the drivers as extracted by Windows Home Server for use with the restore CD just don't work.

Friday, September 30, 2011 11:42 PM
  • Ken, thanks for the information. I've been pulling hair out because of this issue and unfortunately the workaround of running the backupwizard on an external system doesn't help me because I'm trying to recover a raid 0 set.  I don't think I can recover to one drive and then set up the raid again while keeping it all in tact.  Is this just a RealTek issue?  If I get a non-realtek card it should work?

Thanks,

-Dan

Saturday, October 1, 2011 12:29 AM
  • ... Is this just a RealTek issue?  If I get a non-realtek card it should work?

I use Intel NICs for the most part, and have never had a problem. But no, it's not just RealTek. Some NIC drivers seem to struggle with making a proper network conection when run in a WinPE environment, suce as the one that the Restore CD uses. I don't know why, I'm afraid.
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 6:53 PM