Newbie Hardware Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

This is my first post of I am sure many more.  I have been listening to the Windows Home Server Show Podcast, doing some research and am now very excited about installing WHS.  I have the DVD iso burned and have generated a 120 day key, so the only thing to do now is install it.

I was going to use a Compaq Presario I have sitting around (Avoids questions from the wife about why I am buying another computer!).  The processor is an AMD 2800 Athlon XP (2.08 GHZ).  Here is where I was hoping for some guidance:

1. I have 1x512mb PC 2700 Ram installed.  There is one empty Ram slot.
      • Should I purchase 2x1GB sticks or will adding 1x512mb be enough?
    2. I was planning on purchasing 2x500GB Hard Drives.  The motherboard only supports IDE. 
      • Should I purchase the older IDE drives, or should I purchase SATA drives?
      • If I purchase SATA drives, will purchasing a PCI SATA controller work okay and recognize the drives, if I don't have an ATA drive installed?
      • Will there be much difference in speed on this PC to bother with SATA drives?
    3. Anything else I should consider?
    Thanks for your suggestions.

Mark

• Edited by Mark McS Wednesday, February 18, 2009 1:25 AM
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 12:57 AM

Answers

• Mark McS said:

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post of I am sure many more.  I have been listening to the Windows Home Server Show Podcast, doing some research and am now very excited about installing WHS.  I have the DVD iso burned and have generated a 120 day key, so the only thing to do now is install it.

I was going to use a Compaq Presario I have sitting around (Avoids questions from the wife about why I am buying another computer!).  The processor is an AMD 2800 Athlon XP (2.08 GHZ).  Here is where I was hoping for some guidance:

I have 1x512mb PC 2700 Ram installed.  There is one empty Ram slot.  Should I purchase 2x1GB sticks or will adding 1x512mb be enough?

512 MB is the minimum requirements.  If you've ever used any OS with the "minimum requirements", you know how that ends up. ;)  I would go with at least 1 GB of RAM (I have 2 GB in mine).

Mark McS said:

I was planning on purchasing 2x500GB Hard Drives.  The motherboard only supports ATA.  Should I purchase the older ATA drives, or should I purchase SATA drives?

I would strongly recommend you use at least 1 PATA drive and make sure that drive is your primary drive, plugged into port 0 on your mobo.  While you may get it to install the first time on a SATA drive, if you ever have to do a Server Reinstallation, I can pretty much guarantee you won't have much luck if you have all SATA drives on a mobo without built-in SATA ports.

Mark McS said:

If I purchase SATA drives, will purchasing a PCI SATA controller work okay and recognize the drives, if I don't have an ATA drive installed?

As long as you provide the SATA controller driver during installation twice (once during the first GUI portion and again during the text portion, right after the first reboot), you should be ok.  But again, I would avoid using all SATA drives for the reason stated above. 

Mark McS said:

Anything else I should consider?

Mark

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 1:23 AM

All replies

• Mark McS said:

Hi Everyone,

I have 1x512mb PC 2700 Ram installed.  There is one empty Ram slot.  Should I purchase 2x1GB sticks or will adding 1x512mb be enough?

512 MB is the minimum requirements.  If you've ever used any OS with the "minimum requirements", you know how that ends up. ;)  I would go with at least 1 GB of RAM (I have 2 GB in mine).

Mark McS said:

I was planning on purchasing 2x500GB Hard Drives.  The motherboard only supports ATA.  Should I purchase the older ATA drives, or should I purchase SATA drives?

I would strongly recommend you use at least 1 PATA drive and make sure that drive is your primary drive, plugged into port 0 on your mobo.  While you may get it to install the first time on a SATA drive, if you ever have to do a Server Reinstallation, I can pretty much guarantee you won't have much luck if you have all SATA drives on a mobo without built-in SATA ports.

Mark McS said:

If I purchase SATA drives, will purchasing a PCI SATA controller work okay and recognize the drives, if I don't have an ATA drive installed?

As long as you provide the SATA controller driver during installation twice (once during the first GUI portion and again during the text portion, right after the first reboot), you should be ok.  But again, I would avoid using all SATA drives for the reason stated above. 

Mark McS said:

Anything else I should consider?

Mark

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 1:23 AM
  • Wow, you guys are amazing.  All these responses so fast!

Okay, so here is what I am going to do. 

1. Purchase 2x1GB PC2700 sticks of ram
    2. Purchase 2x500GB PATA drives
    This will leave me with the following configuration for my WHS:

1. AMD Athlon 2800 XP processor
    2. 2GB RAM
    3. 2x500GB PATA hard drives
    I will get it all setup and see you all back here in the forums.

Thanks everyone.

Mark
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 1:31 AM
  • Mark McS said:

Wow, you guys are amazing.  All these responses so fast!

Okay, so here is what I am going to do. 

1. Purchase 2x1GB PC2700 sticks of ram
    2. Purchase 2x500GB PATA drives
    This will leave me with the following configuration for my WHS:

1. AMD Athlon 2800 XP processor
    2. 2GB RAM
    3. 2x500GB PATA hard drives
    I will get it all setup and see you all back here in the forums.

Thanks everyone.

Mark

Sounds good.  One other thought:  you can always go back and add SATA drives later on if you so desire.  (However, you will also probably need a floppy drive if you ever need to do a Server Reinstallation with SATA drives attached.)
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 1:38 AM