Office XP failed the OGA test RRS feed

• Question

• I'm becoming very weary of all this Microsoft Genuine Advantage adding to my workload every year or so

I was forced to download and install the tool to test my installation - it reports 'failed'
     It then says that in order to diagnose I have to then download a plug-in for my preferred  browser
    this then says that I have to activate the product
    Office says that it is activated
    AND HAS BEEN FOR ALMOST A DECADE !
    how can this be of any advantage to me whatsoever if I have to spend an hour satisfying you again that I have a genuine version of Office XP ?

I think that there are many products available that aren't going to ask me to jump through hoops on order to have a function word-processing package

Why is a 10yr-old product being failed now ?
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 4:03 AM

Answers

• Good Morning Saywot,

Thank you for posting in our OGA Forum today. Can you run the MGA Diagnostic Tool and provide us with the results back here? This will allow us to analyze what you are experiencing. This will allow us to work on resolution for the problem.  Please follow the steps outlined below as it could either resolve your issue or, if need be, provide us with additional information to determine the cause of this issue.

1.      Ensure you log onto the computer experiencing the issue with “Administrator” rights.

2.      Next we would like to confirm that you are running the most current version of the Genuine Advantage control on your computer. In order to do this please follow the below link and choose the “Validate Windows” option.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

If the above steps did not resolve your issue lets continue with the steps below.

If you could also please follow the steps outlined below, the diagnostics Web Site will attempt to resolve the validation errors you are experiencing with Windows.

http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/RunDiags.aspx?displayLang=en

Next follow the on-screen prompts to resolve the issue if any of the checks at the above site fail. If, after attempting to resolve the issue as per the instructions on the above site fails, please refer to the link below and run the MGA Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”; you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

1.  After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.

2.    Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

Step 2 is to look on the computer itself, in the documentation you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm

And by the way, this didn't work as a solution to my issue. I may get around to having another attempt at following these instructions but as you can see from the time between posts, the alternative suite is as good as Microsoft Office and it could be some time before I get around to it
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:43 PM

All replies

• I think that the solution to this OGA failure is to uninstall everything and try another office suite
    this isn't worth the bother
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 4:17 AM
  • Good Morning Saywot,

Thank you for posting in our OGA Forum today. Can you run the MGA Diagnostic Tool and provide us with the results back here? This will allow us to analyze what you are experiencing. This will allow us to work on resolution for the problem.  Please follow the steps outlined below as it could either resolve your issue or, if need be, provide us with additional information to determine the cause of this issue.

1.      Ensure you log onto the computer experiencing the issue with “Administrator” rights.

2.      Next we would like to confirm that you are running the most current version of the Genuine Advantage control on your computer. In order to do this please follow the below link and choose the “Validate Windows” option.

If the above steps did not resolve your issue lets continue with the steps below.

If you could also please follow the steps outlined below, the diagnostics Web Site will attempt to resolve the validation errors you are experiencing with Windows.

Next follow the on-screen prompts to resolve the issue if any of the checks at the above site fail. If, after attempting to resolve the issue as per the instructions on the above site fails, please refer to the link below and run the MGA Diagnostics tool:

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”; you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

1.  After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.

2.    Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

Step 2 is to look on the computer itself, in the documentation you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, May 5, 2009 5:27 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by saywot Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:41 PM
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 4:48 PM
  • What is this? My Office Xp that came with my Dell computer bought over 7 years ago cant be validated as a legal version?
    Are you kidding me?
    I have the original CD here stating its an OEM version that is installed from the computervendor, in this case Dell.
    I really dont think they use pirated software.
    Luckily I have a newer version of Office on another computer so I wont miss this installation but it sucks because I have payed for it.
    And I think its lame that you cant answer the before poster without using autoanswers.
    As a user you get the feeling that Microsoft as a company wont read these posts anyway.
    Whoever came up with the idea with OGA and WGA should go to the historybooks as the person who came up with the most annoying and customerunfriendly ideas of the decade.
    Why should I as a legit user be bottered with your fears of piracy?
    When I started my computer back in 2002 I agreed with the license and whatever more came up.
    Why in earth should I have to be bottered with this now?
    Genuine advantage?
    Genuine pain in the A** feels more appropiate.
    Once again the honest users comes up short and feel why should I be fair to you when your not fair to us?
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 10:13 PM
  • Hello Benefitsforwho,

Recently we have seen a large number of posts from valued Microsoft customers like you, reporting that their longtime Genuine and Validated installations of Office XP have suddenly become not activated.

In most cases, following Method 2 of this MS KB article takes care of the situation:  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/903275

Please follow Method 2, then when activated, please visit www.microsoft.com/genuine to validate.

Post back to let us know if it worked for you. :-)
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 5:29 AM
  • Dan,
    Thanks for your input and links -- they helped me resolve the problem of my copy of Office XP suddenly deciding it wasn't valid.  (It is -- it's a full-priced, original, commercial product that has been installed and validated on my own valid copy of Windows XP for six or more years.  I haven't made any change to my system other than to defrag the hard drive.  No change of hardware, no change of software beyond Microsoft's own security updates.)

(For what it's worth, I deleted the file C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\data.dat, then restarted Word and let Office go through the validation procedure again. It was successful.)

This next bit is not directed at you, Dan (though you're welcome to respond, if you see fit.)
    But what are these inane hoops that Microsoft keeps making us all jump through?  All their attempts at security -- both their users' and their own -- have been disastrously flawed, which hardly reflects well on their technical expertise.  This sort of inconvenience, that penalises large numbers of legitimate customers for much smaller numbers of lawbreakers (who probably have their own way around the hoops, and so aren't inconvenienced at all) really benefits nothing but Microsoft's own profit margin;  despite Microsoft's Micawberish PR spin, it's not in our interest and it doesn't help us, the legitimate customers;  it merely puts all the onus and incovenience on us.  We're being exploited and imposed upon.  If this is really the best that Microsoft can do, they're either technically inept, or completely disregarding of their customers.  Or both.  Either way, Microsoft really doesn't deserve their dominant position and commercial success.
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 10:35 PM
  • I have noted that no Microsoft representative has managed to explain why we are being viewed as pirates until proved innocent. We buy the product from Microsoft, we follow the instructions in installing/validating etc etc and then years later the installation is deemed non-genuine by the people who sold it to us.

I think Microsoft has somehow become confused about our relationship. We are doing them a favour by buying from them, they aren't doing us any favours by selling (and then trying to take it back again as it turns out)

I haven't used Microsoft Office since this OGA insult, I found a free  suite that does everything that I want it to do, and intend to recommend it to all my family and friends. - I won't try and promote a particular open source office package on a forum hosted by Microsoft, they may fail my whole Operating System installation in retaliation
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:40 PM
  • Good Morning Saywot,

Thank you,

Stephen

And by the way, this didn't work as a solution to my issue. I may get around to having another attempt at following these instructions but as you can see from the time between posts, the alternative suite is as good as Microsoft Office and it could be some time before I get around to it
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:43 PM
  • Dan
    Thanx for posting a solution for my version of Office XP. I have tried various MICROSOFT solutions over previous month to no avail. Finally the annoying popup is gone
    (Deleted the file C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\OfficeData\data.dat, then restarted Word and let Office go through the validation procedure.) It was successful.
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 12:46 AM