Changed IP - Can't find server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I used a new Aspire WHS to troubleshoot problems with another server a few weeks ago. I changed the IP of the new server while doing this. Now - a couple of weeks later I can't connect to the server with the changed IP. Is there a way to recover the IP or see it on the network. I tried Discovery.exe I also tried the Server Recovery CD. I must be on a different subnet. I would be will ing to reload it if I could contact it. Thanks for any help.  

Tim

Saturday, May 29, 2010 8:20 PM

All replies

• If you put your server into recovery mode, it will use DHCP to obtain an IP address. If you're willing to do a recovery, that would be the way to go.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, May 29, 2010 8:47 PM
  • Hi

I too facing the same problem. I tried using the reset button to restore factory defualts, nothing happened. I took the harddrive and connect to desktop and found NTLDR missing. I dont have software installation disc and restore CD. 

Please guide me how to buidl this Server back to normal.

Thanks

venkatesh

Monday, May 31, 2010 11:42 AM
  • Hi

I too facing the same problem. I tried using the reset button to restore factory defualts, nothing happened. I took the harddrive and connect to desktop and found NTLDR missing. I dont have software installation disc and restore CD. 

Please guide me how to buidl this Server back to normal.

Thanks

venkatesh 

You need the server recovery DVD.  Without it, you can't do anything.  You could try contacting the manufacturer of your server and see if you can order another set of recovery discs.
    Monday, May 31, 2010 5:17 PM
  • Hi Tim,
    if the server is active in the network with a valid IP address, there are two ways to see it:
    Several routers show the network devices somewhere on the configuratin pages (unfortunately also historical devices). You could ping IP addresses listed here for your WHS to see, if an answer comes back.
    Or you can use a freeware IP Scanner to scan your local network for active devices. Since there are usually not too many, it should be listed.
    This may not be true, if you assigned the IP address manually and had a typo.
    In this case you may as last resort before a server recovery try to attach the system disk to another PC as secondary drive, load the servers System hive of the registry into Regedit and find the IP address there. (Usually under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\<mountname>ControlSet001\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}, where mountname is the name under which you mounted the system hive of the WHS system in your clients regedit via File/Load Hive menu from c:\windows\system32\config on the WHS disk and {GUID} represents the ID of your network adapter. Don't forget to unload the hive from the registry at the end.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Proposed as answer by 李彬 Wednesday, June 2, 2010 6:34 AM
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 10:10 PM
  • You need to know the IP address?
    From a client machine :
    Start
    Run
    cmd
    ping <insert here your server name... if not changed that . the defaultname is server >

Have a nice day!

--
    Leen

"x7c00" wrote in message news:15d2d0b6-d030-4ee3-ba80-46f80299d866@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    Hi,

I used a new Aspire WHS to troubleshoot problems with another server a few weeks ago. I changed the IP of the new server while doing this. Now - a couple of weeks later I can't connect to the server with the changed IP. Is there a way to recover the IP or see it on the network. I tried Discovery.exe I also tried the Server Recovery CD. I must be on a different subnet. I would be will ing to reload it if I could contact it. Thanks for any help.

Tim

Have a nice day!
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 10:20 PM