antivirus cannot quarantine problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem with antivirus that I have had for several months.  I get the following message on a virus scan:

(sure would be nice if I could put in a screen grab)

Virus:W97M/Class.D Quarantine Failed

Virus:X97M/Laroux.HT Quarantine Failed

etc for 14 more

Note, I tried to disable restore points as I say on one posting and then doing a manual scan. This did not do anything constructive but did delete all my restore points which I am not happy about.

Please tell me how to get rid of these infections.

C. R. Booth

Saturday, October 6, 2007 1:46 AM

Answers

All replies

• Mind if we ask for a clarification, are you using Windows Live Onecare? if you are the direct link to avail of such assistance in removing those infection are indicated below ( to provide direct and immediate assistance to those using the WLOC product ) - that is if you are using Onecare, but if not the option to the lowest part as Microsoft Security would be the best option to proceed since Microsoft in general assist all Windows user with whatever Security Software you are using.

http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2

use the "Get More Help" link in the lower right of the page to contact support via email.

If you are using the released 1.6 version for subscribers, support for v1.6 is via the information here - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1183038&SiteID=2

as per additional option if you are using onecare 2.0 since its on beta phase - feel free to get a direct Microsoft Security Assitance to identify and remove malware / adware or spyware - etc... that is in your system.

Please call 866 727 2338 US/CANADA ( toll free and free support )

Sunday, October 7, 2007 12:45 PM
  • See this post for information about Quarantine Failed - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1548384&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, October 8, 2007 1:54 AM
  • The odd thing about my "quarantine failed" message (for mydoom.O@mm) is that for a few weeks I received a message that this virus was successfully quarantined.  If the issue was that the virus was in an unaccessible part of my PC, then I would expect to have received the "failed" message in all cases.  I have also tried to remove this virus manually (from a KB article I found).  Any ideas?  Thank you.

Saturday, October 20, 2007 4:49 PM
  • If it was previously quarantined, I suspect it was within a file on the PC that could be cleaned. Now it is probably in an attachment to an email message. See the link above for an explanation on how to locate the infected file/email message.

-steve

Sunday, October 21, 2007 7:01 PM
  • for what it's worth, i have a lot of old pine (unix) mail folders (large concatenated e-mail files) archived on my windows system.  OneCare has a long (and I mean long!) list of viruses, trojans, worms, pws's it finds but cannot quarantine.  the only way i was able to figure out which archives had the viruses (or that it was those archives), since OneCare's dialog didn't list the files, was to generate a support log.  The KB suggests deleting the whole file.

i'm assuming it'd be too much to ask to have OneCare be able to extract viruses etc from other e-mail clients' generated mail folders.

thanks!

Friday, November 2, 2007 12:16 PM
  • Extracting the attachments from within a mail store is risky and could cause the mail store to become corrupted.

-steve

Saturday, November 3, 2007 2:22 AM