Installing One Care on Second Computer RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows Live One Care antivirus/antispyware program that was purchased with my sons laptop (notebook) computer. I recently got a new computer and the  CD says that this can be used on up to three computers. It was only used ONE TIME to install it on my sons laptop. I have the CD, case and the product key number that shows the proof of purchase. I cannot install it on my new computer because I have to have the ID that was originally used to install it on my sons laptop. This was all done by Circuit City which is no longer in business. How can I install this on a second computer which I am legally allowed to do since I paid for this program when I purchased the laptop? It installs OK but then I need to activate it. I can't activate it because I have no idea what the original installation id was,  I had Windows Live One Care, and Office Home and Student preloaded on the laptop and have the receipt to prove I paid for each of them. I have a windows live account of my own but when I try to install and activate they said they need the live id that was originally used to install the first use of the software on my sons laptop and I have no idea nor any way to find out what that is. Any help? I am miffed because I paid for it, it says I can use it for up to three computers, and now if I have to go and buy another one I will feel like I got ripped off. Am I out of luck?
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 2:50 PM

Answers