How to start diagnosis - MediaSmart 475 has 4 blue happy lights, but no machines on network can connect to it console or shares RRS feed

• Question

• I came into my office this morning and foudn no access to my documents folder.  My WHS tray icon is resolutely gray.

A reboot on the WHS an dclient made no difference an dall my clients are seeign the same symptoms.

However, my WHS (PP2) appears to think it is healthy as it has 3 blue health lights.

My server has a DHCP-assigned address and the building's router has been a bit trigger happy in assigning new addresses lately, so I don't atually know the server's IP to ping it/try TSing to it.

What are my first diagnostic steps - I'd prefer to avoid leaping into a server rebuild if I can?

Gareth Jones - Architect - DSL Tools & Visual Studio eXtensibility [MSFT]
    Friday, April 10, 2009 12:08 AM

Answers

• Happily it has suddenly re-appeared and event review reveals that it was a rogue IP address conflict in the building.
    That's a tough thing to diagnose when you aren't an admin on the router and you have a headless machine.

Friday, April 10, 2009 3:20 AM

All replies

• If you know the name of your server you could use the tracert command to get the IP address.

Open a DOS window, and enter

tracert servername

You should get an IP address back.

ping servername

Should also work. 

If that doesn't work, then it would lead me to believe that your WHS doesn't actually have a network connection.

Friday, April 10, 2009 12:59 AM
  • Happily it has suddenly re-appeared and event review reveals that it was a rogue IP address conflict in the building.
    That's a tough thing to diagnose when you aren't an admin on the router and you have a headless machine.

Friday, April 10, 2009 3:20 AM