Discussion: Eliminating price data to reduce file size RRS feed

• Question

• I've started a discussion topic on my blog entitled Eliminating price data to reduce file size

Unlike Archive, which doesn't seem to actually reduce file size, deleting price data, which I don't find that useful, does. 

Perhaps Hung Le can develop a Sunriise type tool to clean up investment price data.

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 5:43 PM

All replies

• Nice data there.

A method that would keep end of week or end of month quotes would save most of the space while keeping a history good enough for most uses.

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 8:49 PM
  • If you go to the Portfolio, click "More..." on the left in "Other Tasks" you will see an option "Clear Historical Quotes". This will do what you want - only keep weekly values.

Bob - MSN Mobile

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 3:51 PM
  • I tried "Clear Historical Quotes" on a copy of my file in Sunset. Looking back at the history, daily quotes were still present for things I have not had for years. The file after exit was very slightly larger than the file I had copied from.

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 4:04 PM
  • Thanks Bob - I didn't know that option was there.  It only addresses investments you no longer own though.  I tried it out, and even though I see evidence that daily price data for securities I haven't owned for years still exists, it resulted in another 3.87 MB reduction!

• Edited by ameridan Wednesday, December 11, 2019 5:26 PM
    Wednesday, December 11, 2019 4:14 PM
  • I'm happy to report that by deleting the prices for 3 more stocks that I've owned for quite a while, I've reduced my file size down to 56,226 KB, which is now 10 MB smaller than 1 week ago!!
    Tuesday, December 17, 2019 4:29 PM
  • Are you seeing any performance gains out of the file size reduction?  I'm at 86MB, and just played with my parent's small file and couldn't believe how quickly things moved!  It's been 10-15 years since I've been that file size though...!
    Wednesday, December 18, 2019 3:52 AM
  • Good question.

I've never noticed delays after opening my data file and after the database has loaded into memory.  If I activate Portfolio screen right after opening the file as an example, it does load a little quicker now, but subsequent requests have always been generally fine.  Cal (with a file size over 250 MB) will probably also attest to the primary delay being right after the file is opened, but fine afterwards.  

I too have a (small) file for my parents, and it opens very quickly, so I know what you mean.  My main concern for keeping file size down, is so that I can keep using my primary database for as long as Money works, rather than having to start over, or using an archived database.

• Edited by ameridan Wednesday, December 18, 2019 4:29 AM
    Wednesday, December 18, 2019 4:27 AM
  • My Money file works significantly faster with a 6-year old Windows 10 with 64-bit install, an i3 with integrated graphics and 12 GB of memory than with my 12-year old Windows 7 machine with 32-bit install. That effectively only has a little over 3 GB of ram and a low power graphics card. I suspect the memory is the more important factor, but he faster CPU is significant too.

The Windows 10 task manager says Money does not use much if any GPU.

Thursday, December 19, 2019 4:59 AM
  • That made no difference on mu UK version of Money 2005

• Edited by SC489 Tuesday, January 28, 2020 8:38 AM
    Monday, December 23, 2019 8:49 AM