none
Windows XP Pro OEM system reported as key "lost or stolen" but they aren't RRS feed

• Question

• We are a small OEM and this is a workstation we built for our client in 2004.

Windows Update has worked just fine up until several month ago it broke and now I get

"Windows XP Pro OEM systems reported as key "lost or stolen" but they aren't "

This is causing much frusration for my user/client and I do not have have very much time or money to resolve this

customer wants to install software that requires XP to be up to date and I am unable to do the updates required

due to this problem.

The software was purchased at NewEgg.com in 2004 I have the reciept original disk and COA sticker on the computer
    Like I am supposed to.

NewEgg has changed to automated systems only and they no longer have any kind of staff that can or will assist me with this.

+ it is not newegg's issue.

Any pointers/help would be greatly appreciated.

What do I do at this point please help!

THANKS

I notice from the diagnostics it says not activated but it *was* activated...

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0095.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated
    Validation Code: 1
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-BB7BH-3MQC4-X9T3M
    Windows Product Key Hash: l+KOVuUbANij6ItA3HSAY/ApOR4=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-OEM-2249056-17340
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {2CE6BB26-FB05-4A35-9D45-404273BDD727}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.69.2
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1_025D1FF3-179-2_025D1FF3-185-80070002_025D1FF3-199-3
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 11
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-171-1_025D1FF3-179-2_025D1FF3-185-80070002_025D1FF3-199-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{2CE6BB26-FB05-4A35-9D45-404273BDD727}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0095.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-X9T3M</PKey><PID>55274-OEM-2249056-17340</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-776561741-1078081533-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>ASUSTeK Computer INC.</Manufacturer><Model>A7N8X-X</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>ASUS A7N8X-X ACPI BIOS Rev 1009</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20040203000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>23033FFF0184A05B</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>1</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Sunday, June 22, 2008 10:17 PM

Answers

• Steve,

Now problem glad to try and help you :-). The only long pole you may have now is with using the same key on two systems. Please submit a piracy report. In turn you may be asked to submit the coa, original disc etc to Microsoft for them to analyze. You may eligible for a free replacement version of the Windows version which you are using for the client. Also depending on how many computers the client is running have you considered discussing purchasing a Volume Licensing for them? 

Take care and keep us abreast of any more problems.

Stephen Holm

WGA Forum Volunteer

Monday, June 23, 2008 5:08 AM

All replies

• Hello Steve,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) forum.  Your issue is related to Product Activation.  The purpose of this forum is the support of the WGA program and your question falls out of the scope for our support.

In an attempt to assist I would like to provide some information which may help. First I copied and pasted the visible product key provided by the MGA into a search engine. This is a method, not a tell a tell method, to see if the key had been compromised. You would have to work with a MS employee on the forum. Has the person made several upgrades? Maybe all it will take is a telephone activation because it could have exceeded activation limits.

I do suggest trying to activate using the “Activate by Phone” method from the activation Wizard. Telephone numbers for Activation Centers vary by product license and country/region. Use the number provided on your Activation Wizard screen to call the Microsoft Activation Center.  Please follow the below guidance for telephone activation for activating Windows. 

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.

Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.

Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.

When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.

You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

More information on how to activate Windows XP at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Also you may reference the following site for various telephone activation centers:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

After you finish the above steps please restart the computer and try to validate Windows again: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine. Please locate the “Validate Windows” button in the upper right hand corner. Double click on the button and follow the guidance. Were you able to pass Windows Validation successfully? Please post again if you need further assistance. Thank you.

Stephen Holm

WGA Forum Volunteer

Sunday, June 22, 2008 11:46 PM
  • Stephen,

Thank you for your kind help.

I had already tried activation by phone, and that will not fly because my actual product key is being blocked at microsoft.

It tells me this quite clearly.

I've done some further testing and learning since my initial post here.

My OEM key is being blocked (by claim that it is reported stolen).

I purchased & installed the software myself in late 2004 from NewEgg online.

All events are documented very well as well as a good record of Antivirus and malware utilities

being installed on this computer and kept up to date.

The computer is well maintained and use by a responsible office manager that has not leaked any information to the Internet.

Nor has the system been infected with viruses or malware over the course if it's in service life.

I'm VERY confident of that.

The fact that this key is blocked at microsoft is most certainly a mistake or the vendor mis-reporting this as lost or stolen.

I need to know what my steps are to get this reversed or how to get my key replaced.

I'm certainly not going to pay or make my client pay for a replacement key.

We were all very responsible in assuring that it was kept safe and NOT stolen.

I have the COA sticker on the computer (on the inside) in a safe but accessible place.

The computer has remained in a safe locked administrative office.

I have the original packing and all reciepts from 2004 for this purchase.

And I have a photocopy of the COA sticker along with job details in a locked customer file folder

in our locked office ;-)

This is not my fault or my client's fault that this event has occurred, but I need to deal with it now.

What is the procedure/steps to open a case and get this resolved?

Can you please direct me to the proper place fror this if this is not it.

Thanks very much for your wisdom and help..

I see you are a volunteer.

Steve

Monday, June 23, 2008 12:46 AM
  • Hello Steve,

This is definetely an interesting scenerio. An OEM product key is usually not a type of key a person would target. Interesting... There could be many many scenerio's which could have made this particular computer to become non-genuine.  First please and re-try validating windows again by visiting the following location:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine next click on the "Validate Windows" button in the upper right corner. Are you still receiving the same non-genuine errors?

Next please re-run the MGA diagnotic. We need to see if Windows indicates a non-activated status situation.  Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.   Please visit http://www.howtotell.com . There is very important information located here. Please view all of the details of your COA and bounce it against How To Tell.  

Curious has this computer been taken to any other repair facilities OR is there a potential the system was reformatted anyone else whatsoever?  There have been occurances (from what I have been told by customers) where some repair facilities have used non-genuine software.  The product key may work for years before being identified as non-genuine. Steve have you visited http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/ ? Right now I would submit a piracy report. In turn the team will do what they can for providing you with assistance and working this situation out. Unfortuately I don't have any other solutions which may provide you with a quicker resolution. 

Still it is strange an OEM version key verses a Corporte key would blocked. OEM keys are used for a one time install.  Should you have any other information please post back in your same thread and let us know. Again I apologize for being able to provide you with any new info @ this time.

Thank you Steve

Stephen Holm

WGA Forum Volunteer

Monday, June 23, 2008 1:45 AM
  • DID:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine Again..

Get: Same key is reported as stolen message.

Even went as far as to try a fresh install on a new system.

It takes the key just fine (for installing) the key is being typed in correctly.

This is Windows XP SP1 OEM CD.

Installs fine..

Will not activate , says Key is unacceptable or invalid at windows activation.

There is a unique wording but I don't remember exactly what it said.

It's definitely different and distinguished and differs from the message you get

if you try to change the product key and type in something truly invalid (made up).

Does the same thing with telephone activation...

Says the key is unacceptable.

They key was fine and activated originally in 2004.

As you can see my key is not anywhere published on the net.

This key has only ever been used once to install windows on the original machine.

This particular key flat out no longer works with microsoft's activation database.

This is completely wrong and there needs to be a way to deal with this issue.

Does anyone have an answer on how I actually deal with this properly.

I'm certain the key is blocked yes it's very strange that  this is going on with an OEM key but it indeed is.

I can recreate the problem and I can easily prove the key is not being accepted by online or telephone WPA.

I have the original COA and I have all my proofs of purchase..

Now how/where do I get this fixed?

:-)

Here's what I did...

I re-ran product activation by deleting the wpa.dbl and wpa.bak (yes I know about those)

-and simply entered another product key from one of the customer's other computers...

And activated it over the phone.

Yep same key on two machines now... but I am legal.

I don't have months to deal with this type of bull, and it is indeed total bull that there is not a route to resolve

this type of issue with Microsoft..

I feel there should be a clear cut  procedure where one can send a fax or an email and sign it or something and they

release my MISTAKENLY blocked product ID or issue  a new one and send out a new COA.

Period...

Fixed myself as usual... much would have prefered a more proper resolution path..

Stephen thanks very much for trying to help.

I know you had asked me to re-run the diagnostic but my customer needs thier box back NOW.

Maybe when there is some free time we can bring up the bad key on a test box and work through it if you are curious or willing to try something..

You are welcome to try my key on your own and see for yourself that everything I say here is completely true.

It may be educational for both of us.

You are stumped by this being blocked as an OEM key... well here's an opportunity to experience this first hand

if you have time and desire to take on a non paying educational project ;-)

Your efforts were very much appreciated and also thanks for being so darn responsive.

When someone's frustrated it's such a joy not to have to wait a long time to hear

back from someone.

I'd imagine you have friends and family that are for more important than this trivial stuff!

Thanks again for your time.

Take Care!

http://myspace.com/2400mhz

-Steve

Monday, June 23, 2008 2:43 AM
  • Steve,

Now problem glad to try and help you :-). The only long pole you may have now is with using the same key on two systems. Please submit a piracy report. In turn you may be asked to submit the coa, original disc etc to Microsoft for them to analyze. You may eligible for a free replacement version of the Windows version which you are using for the client. Also depending on how many computers the client is running have you considered discussing purchasing a Volume Licensing for them? 

Take care and keep us abreast of any more problems.

Stephen Holm

WGA Forum Volunteer

Monday, June 23, 2008 5:08 AM