CRM 2011 Online External Connector? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I know that CRM 2011 Online doesn't require an external license (for example connecting a website to CRM 2011), but how do connect from our website to CRM 2011 Online (credentials & etc) I can not find any information online about this issue, or how to connect to an online environment.

Greetings and thanks in advance,
    Robin

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 10:47 AM

All replies

• When you say connect are you talking about writing a program/web application to connect and access CRM.

If so I would begin by looking at the CRM SDK.  

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/2490.microsoft-dynamics-crm-2011-development-resources.aspx

Ben Hosking
    Check out my CRM Blog
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 11:06 AM
  • Thank you for your replay Hoskinator. We implemented a lot of websites trough the external connector, but we never did this via CRM online. 

How does the connection work between an application/website via CRM online? (credentials & etc?)

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 1:43 PM
  • I have no idea what "the external connector" is?

When you connect via the CRM SDK you need to pass in either active directory credentials, username, password, domain or details to connect to CRM online.

if you read the SDK it will have samples and walkthroughs to help you connect

Ben Hosking
    Check out my CRM Blog
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 2:55 PM
  • The "external connector" is a license that u need onpremise to connect application/website integrations with CRM. (For people who are NOT a user in your company/CRM)

According to Microsoft sources, you only need the external connector license when On-Premise is used and NOT when using Microsoft hosted CRM Online. In the case of a web portal, the users are not logging directly into the application in this case CRM Online (MS Hosted) and can authenticate username & password via a variety of
    non-WLID protocols, so Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online allows non-licensed access in those scenarios.

So my question remains, how does this 'non-licensed' access works?

• Edited by RobinDB Tuesday, March 13, 2012 4:19 PM
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 4:18 PM
  • I am also curious about this.

Sharepoint Online allows external users with contribute permissions (data entry, edit). Originally, I think this was limited to 50 free external users, beyond 50, you paid a nominal fee for each additional user, something like $2 per user. They suspended this, so that the theoretical limit was 1,000 users (I think this situation is still on, not sure).

So, theoretically, a multi-national company with branches all over the world, can have an administrator and designer subscribe to an E3 subscription, for $20 per month, which includes Office Professional Plus. Since this subscription includes Infopath, the administrator/designer, using Sharepoint Designer and Infopath can create web forms to use with this one $20 subscription for a thousand users, who only need contribute permissions anyway. I always thought that a good Sharepoint Site should have, like the Catholic Church, only one Pope, or a federation starship, one captain, anything else can be really messy.

Anyway, if you guys ever hear of an international conglomerate with one E3 subscription, and a thousand external users, I'd appreciate being informed of this truly amazing organization. I'll genuflect before the administrator/designer, kiss his ring, and follow him to the ends of the earth.

Cheers!

Ramon I. Novales

Sunday, July 15, 2012 2:16 PM